Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by naturalwoman

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by naturalwoman
Mariner of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Member Name: naturalwoman
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: E1
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Fun cruise but with a few mixed emotions.
We are a family of 3, my husband, my adult daughter and me. We have cruised 9 times in the past so we know a little about what to expect.

Getting on the ship was OK, I understood that they had to decontaminate the ship so I knew that would take some time. The Convention center that RC bused us to was clean and they did provide a sack lunch. I thought that part was well organized.

We got to our room on deck 8 and the room was clean. The shower doors did not shut all the way so we always got water on the floor. The balcony could of used a good scrubbing and the chairs were dirty. I noticed the sheets were tattered, some had ink on them. Our cabin steward did a good job cleaning.

The safety drill went smooth, the least painful drill I have ever been through, maybe because the temperature outside was so pleasant.

The main dinning hall was great, food was exceptional. The buffets were OK, some days better than others.

* The staff seemed worn out and frazzled. I felt very sorry for them. I know they were working hard and fast but they all seemed tired, worn out and not too happy. It was the first cruise I have ever been on where I have seen such worn out unhappy crew members. I felt RC was trying to get one person to do the work of 3. The ship was not kept up like most RC ships and I saw places where carpet should have been replaced, I understood why all the windows looked dirty because of the decontamination, but I would have really enjoyed looking through clean windows and walking around on a sparkling clean ship.

The shows were ok. The ice show was wonderful. Since we all (my family) are non-smokers we did not appreciate inhaling the smoke on the ship. Many times while on my balcony I had to go in because my neighbors were smoking. I asked for a non-smoking room and was hoping the other rooms around me were non smoking but no such luck. Cigarette smoking is such a nasty habit and I did not appreciate being forced to inhale it. We would cruise again but next time not over the holidays.

Publication Date: 01/20/12