3. Adventure of the Seas
My husband, sister, and I flew down to San Juan a day early for our October 28th Adventure of the Seas Cruise for 7 days to the Southern Caribbean. The overall food on the ship was bad to poor. Don't get me wrong it looked great, but it had no flavor. When I asked our server in the dining room for some garlic power to spice up the food she told me no. I wish I could tell you that the opinion on the food was just mine, but it was mentioned by almost all those we came in contact with. We had such great food on the Rhapsody last year so this was a big let down. We met some wonderful people on the ship. We had over 30 people show up for our mix and mingle party. Royal Caribbean started it an hour late, but fun was had by all. We did a gift exchange that was a ton of fun. Now for the reason I am writing this review. You can read about ports of call, etc. on other sites, but I hope those of you considering "touching the hot stove" and trying Adventure of the Seas or any other cruise out of San Juan will please read this and then make a decision to book. Local citizens from Puerto Rico paid 1/5 of what we paid from Indiana. This is cruise cost alone, not including airfare. How did we find this out? We asked several of the crew members and it was confirmed many times over. Now, I understand that as locals they have the ability to cruise on shorter notice. The money difference really isn't a big argument. To me it is like the apple I-phone price going down in price. However, due to these EXTREME discounts we had 1,500 Puerto Ricans on the ship. I am sure many of you are ready to defend the citizens of PR, but let me start by saying this. I was not upset by the discounts as much as I was for the culture differences we had on the ship. To me these differences are considered rude. To those of you who think it would just be a chance to experience a new culture I invite you to put your hand on the stove. For the majority the PR citizens had no basic manners. They wore jeans to the dining room, kept pushing the door closed button the elevators so you could not get on, budged in line at all the buffets and disembarkation, talked through each show in the theatre, did not say excuse me when they ran into you, wore clothes (not suits) into the swimming pool, took over the outdoor pool, and as I found out from the crew members don't believe in tipping. One of the most frustrating parts was the lack of parental supervision of their children. On the way to the dining room one night a 12 year old PR boy honesty ran into at full force an 80 year old man and knocked him down. The boy and his adult friends that were with him laughed when the man fell down! I spoke with over 100 couples during this cruise at various events. These couples were from the continental US. At the beginning of the week I think we were all trying to not rock the boat and say anything to the staff about our issues (don't want to be considered stereotyping people), but by the end of the cruise many made official complaints in the ships log. Before that we made verbal complaints to customer service. However, the crew did nothing to remedy the situation. A general announcement about guest conduct, enforcing the jeans rule in the dining room, etc. would have made a small difference and shown the crew cared. Instead, they hired musicians that played only PR music (not Caribbean themed), had special activities for the Spanish speakers, and made sure to have the PR cruisers shout at the top of their lungs some PR cheer at shows, dinner, or on the promenade. If a cruise line ever wanted to make me feel unwanted this was it. We were warned ahead of time of the culture differences of the PR citizens, but I was dumb enough to think it was just small differences. They were huge differences that had a significant part in ruining my vacation. We thought it would be fine since were not on a Quincenera cruise. However, we found out that every week they have at least 1500 PR citizens on the cruise. Knowing that they paid 1/5 of what I did and the fact that they did not follow general code of conduct most of us do (politeness) I ended up spending the last 2 evenings in my stateroom. I was so frustrated by the situation that I sequestered myself. I really couldn't stand hearing that PR chant one more time. I have a call into the crown and anchor society to make another complaint. I don't care about a discount or cruise credit. My whole goal in writing this review and continuing to complain is the make sure future cruisers do not have to put up with this lack of civility. I wish I could describe how bad it got, but it is hard to explain how all these factors taking place over 7 days just drains you. In conclusion I know my fellow cruisers on this boat will also be writing reviews. So you don't have to take my word for it. I wish I would have listened and switched my cruise.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean