3. Pride of America
I had so much fun on my 7 day Hawaiian cruise. My friend and I flew in from Phoenix on a 6 1/2 hour Hawaiian Airline flight. It took awhile to get through the Boarding Process; but once through, the week was so much fun. Two days in Maui. One day in Hilo and one in Kona on the Big Island. Two days in Kauai. This is my third visit to the Hawaiian Islands and hopefully, far from my last. I love the islands and this was a wonderful way to visit 3 islands on one visit. Port & Shore Excursions: Big Island Snorkel. Our group was the first to be loaded on the Tenders at Kona to be transported to the Body Glove catamaran at 7:15 am, which was nice for us because we had the full day until 5:30 pm, to explore Kona after the excursion. This Excursion was exceptional. The staff was informative, helpful, friendly, and patient. The food was abundant and delicious. The coral reef where we snorkeled was about 45 minutes from shore. We saw a pod of Spinner dolphins as we to the reef. Once we arrived, the snorkeling was very well organized. The view of the reef and the ocean life was excellent. The only challenge I faced on the snorkeling excursion was that I decided to go down the water slide. It was nothing like the big yellow slides at a water park. I pulled a muscle trying to get onto the slide and when I landed in the water, it felt like a giant slap to my whole body. I can't think of any way to enter the water more gently from the slide. I imagine that it hurts because of the speed and distance of the drop. It's not necessary to go down the water slide, and I would just skip that experience if I had it to do over again. Other than my decision to use the water slide, the rest of the experience was fun and memorable. Also, I was generous with use of sunscreen which I highly recommend. I brought my own spray on 50 spf sunscreen, and there was also sunscreen available on board. Thank you to the Big Island Excursion staff. They couldn't have been more helpful and considerate to a snorkeler with limited experience. Entertainment: The shows were amazing. I went to all of the 7:00 shows except for Thursday, Luau night. Performers were highly talented and professional. Costumes were gorgeous. The 'Oh What a Night' Tribute was probably the highest quality of all; but every show was a 5 star performance for me. The Cast was fabulous. Each show lasted about an hour and left me wanting more. I definitely recommend taking advantage of the superb entertainment offered at 7 and 9 pm nightly in the Hollywood Theater. Summary: Thank you to Norwegian and to all the staff that made it such a fabulous experience. Thanks especially to our Cabin Steward, Henry. Actually, the whole Pride of America staff treated us so well. I highly recommend Pride of America to anyone who wants to enjoy the islands along with a Cruise.

So fun! Good food. Great entertainment. Amazing Hawaiian excursions.

Pride of America Cruise Review by LuauLei

• Sail Date: July 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Large Balcony
I had so much fun on my 7 day Hawaiian cruise.

My friend and I flew in from Phoenix on a 6 1/2 hour Hawaiian Airline flight.

Port & Shore Excursions:

Big Island Snorkel.

Entertainment:

Performers were highly talented and professional. Costumes were gorgeous.

Summary:

LuauLeiā€™s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Large Balcony
Cabin B6 9502
We were located all the way to the front on the Port side. For most of the trip we faced out toward the ocean. For the Friday afternoon ship tour of the Na Poli mountains, the view was amazing. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and enjoy the beautiful mountain and rainbow scenery. The balcony was also nice when I wanted to journal or read while she had the television on.

At 233 sq ft., the space was arranged in such a way that my room mate and I had enough access to drawers, closet and other storage and shelving.

Bringing magnets along was helpful for keeping important notes and papers posted on the metal walls.

I easily stored two empty suitcases out of the way under the bed. My roommate kept her luggage open on the sofa. That worked out okay because every day included an excursion and so we didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

The bathroom was spacious enough, although the shower felt pretty small. It still worked well enough with the flexible shower nozzle. There was a clothes line hung in the shower that helped with drying swimsuits and hand washables.

Because the blow dryer was attached to the dressing table on my roommate's side of the room I hardly ever had access to the blow dryer. It would have been better to have the blow dryer either be portable or be located in the bathroom for easier access by both cabin mates.

I took a power adapter along so that I could easily charge two electronics over night. I'm glad that I was able to keep my phone charged because I used it daily to send texts and post pictures on social media. I didn't use the phone on the ship because their Internet packages are prices. I did use it daily when on land. I almost always had access to free wireless Internet at all the ports, so I was able to communicate without using much cellular data.

Henry, our cabin steward, was kind, friendly, and helpful. This was my first time cruising in a Large Balcony stateroom and I liked it a lot.
Deck 12 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour
    This was a bus tour with some stops for shopping and sightseeing. I highly recommend seeing the steam rise from the volcano, the lava rock throughout the park, and visiting the steam vents along the way. Walking through the Thurston Lava Tube was a cool experience.
    The Rainbow waterfall was gorgeous. This was a good tour.
    I believe that our driver was named James. He was a good tour guide.
    View All 108 Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour Reviews
  • Luau
    Smith Family Luau was enjoyable. The view of Wailua Park was spectacular. The food was very, very good. I'm a vegetarian and there was plenty of delicious food available to me. The show was informative and pleasing to watch.
  • Na Pali Coast
    Great view from our Port side balcony.
    View All 12 Na Pali Coast Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Our Driver and Tour Guide, Larry, was an excellent communicator. The view of Waimea Canyon was memorable.
    View All 12 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Waimea Canyon
    Oh, so beautiful! It's called the Grand Canyon of Hawaii, and it's even more colorful than our amazing Grand Canyon of Arizona.
    View All 118 Waimea Canyon Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Helpful, fun staff. Good snorkeling. Pleasant catamaran ride to a coral reef. Great food and beverage. A very good excursion.

Use sunscreen and avoid the water slide. The impact on hitting the water hurts.
    View All 65 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Haleakala Crater
    This is a must do. I went with Roberts Hawaii on the Haleakala at Sunset tour. It got cold, so take a coat. The view from above the clouds was one of the most magnificent sunsets I've ever seen. Wear good walking shoes because there is a bit of challenge walking up and down the path to the top of the mountain.
    It was wonderful having Warren, an amazing bus driver, wind up and down that very steep mountain. It takes a lot of strength to maneuver those curves and Warren did a great job.
    View All 81 Haleakala Crater Reviews