Azamara Journey Cruise Review

It was wonderful!

Azamara Journey Cruise Review by LibraryJo

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Club Oceanview Stateroom (obstructed view)

We sailed on the Journey for a Panama Canal transit and it was wonderful! It was our first time on Azamara. I was a little nervous as it was "a luxury line" and we are just two unassuming retired folks. We found our fellow passengers down-to-earth and unpretentious.

The cruise was very smooth. I usually have difficulty with my balance when I get off a ship but I haven't experienced that this time.

The staff on the Journey all seemed very friendly and helpful. The wait staff in the Main Dining Room and in Windows Cafe were very attentive and even checked when we had special requests from what was on the menu!

We enjoyed most of the shows. The Journey Singers and Dancers did a great job! They had also brought in special entertainment in addition to the Journey Singers and Dancers -- there was a comedian and two violinists. They were both very enjoyable. Dima and Sasha's dancing was incredible and we enjoyed our group dance lessons with them. Natalie, Marcos and Daniel were good singers. Eric was a hoot with his banter with the Captain and his drag dressing for Hairspray songs.

The Land Discoveries were good. I would have preferred to have an audio unit to hear the guides, as I frequently held back a little to take pics and I missed some of what was being explained. In Costa Rica the visit to the Carara National Park was listed as strenuous but most in our group thought it wasn't all that taxing. We did get to see some monkeys and birds but not many (but we know you can't schedule nature!). We saw many more at the Animal Rescue Center which was a fun tour.

The Azamazing evening was well-organized and the music presented was very good. I thought it was a little rushed and didn't allow much time for exploring the venue.

The only negatives were that they changed one port of call several times, even as close as the week before (from Haiti to Montego Bay to Falmouth) and changed some of the Land Discoveries without letting folks who had pre-booked them know ahead of time. I had also asked about Church Services and was given incorrect info from the concierge. After walking to the Church, we found out that the service was over before we docked but the priest was happy that we made the effort and conducted a communion service for us before he left for a mission church service.

We enjoyed the open seating and shared a table most meals. Our fellow passengers were fun to talk with over meals.

We didn't find anyone trying to upsell the drinks or the photos or artwork. And there was never any mention of tipping except for a few of the Land Discoveries, and even then it was just mentioned.

Overall, it was an excellent trip! I would travel with Azamara again!

LibraryJo's Full Rating Summary

Club Oceanview Stateroom (obstructed view)
Cabin 08 6049

The cabin itself is a little small but you don't really spend a lot of time in it. We did pick a cabin with obstructed view but the view was still pretty good. We had a straight view to the outside and the obstruction was mainly to the side. We didn't hear much noise from outside the cabin, except the one day we tendered, but it didn't bother me.

LibraryJo