Disney Wonder Cruise Review

Disney Wonder Cruise Review by Porschewife

• Sail Date: Apr 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Two older women on a Disney Cruise with no children was a recipe for disappointment.

First, boarding in Miami was our first mistake. What a disaster! From the chaos at MIA to the ridiculously absurd directions to the port, to the end of the trip and waiting 7 hours in MIA for a plane because we had to be off the ship by 9:30 am, we were very aware that whoever operates this cruise, has never been to the Disney training center where you learn how to move people quickly and efficiently. I actually felt sorry for the parents traveling with children, who had to put up with the incompetence.

There were lines everywhere. We waited to get on the ship (at 1:30 in the afternoon), we waited to get something to eat, we waited to get a chair to sit near the pool, we waited in the bar for a drink, it just went on and on.

The Disney Wonder is an older ship that should really be retired or have a major makeover. When we arrived in our veranda stateroom, we had an unusual veranda that was like a little room covered in wood with a window. Not only were we disappointed but there were vinyl covered pads on the seats and they were ripped with all the stuffing coming out and soaking wet. This was the first time we realized there was only one bed. I had been on 7 prior cruises and thought the bed could be separated. Nope. We either had to sleep together or one person would have to sleep on the couch. This is a $2100 cabin????

Our room was far aft which meant a ton of walking to get to an elevator or a dining venue. I guess for some that would be good. For us, not so much. We immediately made our way to guest services to ask for mercy. Unfortunately, the ship was completely booked and there was no way we could be promised a cabin change, but our guest services rep would do what she could. Stay in our room was the suggestion and she would call...which she did and we received a much better cabin in a better location. Thank you!

We had asked for a table for two because we are both hard of hearing which makes dinner conversation with others a bit difficult. Well, imagine 100's of noisy kids, with parents who saw this cruise as an opportunity to let their children run wild, scream, yell and irritate the waiters and other guests. Not only could we not hear ourselves talk, we could not hear when the waiters offered evening menus. It was chaos.

We thought the Disney characters would be walking around on this cruise to visit with the kids, but not so. There were only certain times and locations they would be available and only for very short periods of time. Guess what...lines.

In all fairness, we were not the typical Disney cruisers and our expectations were skewed. But we thought we would "preview" for our grandchildren. If they had fun, then we would? We were wrong, I think.

I was surprised by how many non Americans were on the ship and how many non-English speaking guests (and crew). I was under the wrong impression that a Disney ship would have all-American Disney crew members. I forgot, this is a cruise ship, which generally means crew members from all over the world. Of course their service was wonderful.

The food was fantastic! Of all the cruises I have been on, I believe this food was the best. Very nice selections and prepared beautifully. Palo, the specialty restaurant was outstanding from antipasto to the delicious chocolate souffle. Don't miss it!

We were wakened almost nightly with strange machine noises and blasting power washers cleaning the verandas...at 3 am??? Come on.

Thank goodness I downloaded the Disney navigator app so we could find out what was happening and navigate the ship. I found the information provided in the daily newsletter to be sadly lacking. The app is great and gives you an overview of activities and deck layout.

Castaway Cay is lovely and has absolutely gorgeous beaches. The Bahamas are sadly lacking and a ripoff. Key West was actually fun and had some cute stores and bars.

Would I go again? No. But, one thing I know for sure..all those 100's of kids had a blast! So, if you have children, don't hesitate...just take along a lot money and patience.

Porschewife's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 05C 6142

6142 was a great location. First in the hallway just down from the AFT elevator. Small, but bathroom is separated into 2 rooms, one with commode and sink, the other with small tub with shower and a sink. Queen bed and sofa that makes into a single bed. We had a little difficulty getting past the end of the bed when coming from the veranda to go to the bathroom.

Lots of storage space. Comfortable bed. Almost all TV stations are geared toward children.

Amol was our cabin steward and he was excellent.

Nassau

Worst excursion ever! It was a total ripoff! Don't do it!!!

Porschewife