Viking Modi Cruise Review

Grand European River Cruise by Viking

Viking Modi Cruise Review by Cruciere

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Europe River

Had taken this cruise 12 years ago and thought my companions would enjoy.

The ship was well laid out and quite luxurious. Crew was absolutely wonderful, especially the program director known as Joey. Food was very good.

I cannot give cruise 5 stars because of some ill-chosen ports. Miltenberg and Bamberg were small and not interesting enough to justfy the hours we had to stay there. Rudesheim, Mainz, etc would be better choices.

Bishop's Palace in Würzburg was overcrowded and guide told most of us far more than we wanted to know about the decor. I recommend this be an optional tour. Rothenburg was optional and the opposite would be better in my opinion.

Another complaint is lack of time in some of the more interesting ports such as Budapest and Nurnberg. I did love having full days on Vienna.

If you like river cruising Viking is an excellent choice. They train their staff well and are attentive to guests. There is freedom to relax aboard if that suits you. In some ports it was possible to avoid the tours and explore on one's own.

Cruciere's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Other/not on this list 113

Although small, cabin is well-planned and there was sufficient closet and drawer space. There was a mildew smell im bathroom. Steward scrubbed thoroughly but it never completely dusappeared.

Miltenberg

This is a very small city. Short tour was okay but we were left there for hours. There was little to do, shops were poor, and day was quite boring.

Nuremberg

This is an interesting port. I would have enjoyed more time here. Guided bus tour was okay.

Regensburg

I was not able to spend much time here as zi took an optional trip to Munich. My rating is based on a previous trip there.

Benedictine Abbey

Wonderful guide and a very interesting monastery.

View All 62 Benedictine Abbey Reviews
Vienna

I experienced Vienna independently. I love this city.

City Tour

Guide was excellent but I would have liked to have seen even more of city.

View All 353 City Tour Reviews
Wurzburg

The city is quite lovely and ship was in easy walking distance, giving us freedom. Bishop's Palace was crowded and of little interest.

Durnstein (Krems)

I did not visit Passau as it would have been a long bus ride. Chose to rest as I have visited Passau.

Amsterdam

Interesting city I have visited twice before.

Koblenz

Only saw a little of Koblenz but it was pleasant.

Cologne

I had a good day in Cologne on my own. I visited Ludwig Museum, had a private tour of cathedral, ate lunch with Germans were in Brauhaus, and shopped.

Cruciere