3. Silver Spirit
My husband & I completely enjoyed our Silver Sea experience, everything went smoothly from beginning to end, on our 10 day cruise on Silver Spirit from Athens to Athens. We cruised the Greek Islands as well as Kusadasi, Turkey just prior to the airport bombing in Istanbul airport, and our experience of Ancient Ephesus and Mary's house was incredible, and not to be missed. Icha was a wonderful, amazing tour guide! It would be very sad to not be able to go to Turkey now, because of the political unrest, it was so beautiful! We absolutely enjoyed the different aspects of each of the Greek Islands and hope to go back in particular to Magical Santorini, Historical Rhodes with it's fabulous beaches, Old city and castles, as well as Mama Mia's Skiathos Island! And if you go to Thessaloniki, make sure and do your shopping there, as the prices & choices are best there. The historical Churches were amazing to see there as well. The Ship; Let me tell you about the ship, first of all this is the smallest ship we have sailed on and also our first luxury cruise. So I am writing this review from the perspective of a first time Silver Sea cruiser. I am wanting to impart information that gives you a heads up as to what to expect, particularly if this is your first time on Silver Seas. This ship did live large though, we never felt cramped. I have cruised several other cruise lines. This ship was about 2/3's full. Our cruise was a celebration of our 30th wedding anniversary and we wanted to treat ourselves. The cruise did not disappoint, we were impressed with the impeccable service all throughout ship. Truly top notch! And the tasty 5 star food. Even the breakfast Danish tasted as if it was freshly made that morning, and they were huge! Our Butler Riju and Mark our cabin cleaner were amazing in always knowing the right time to come by and they did pamper us with treats and great room service. The cruise ship is layed out quite nicely and there are many different places on the ship to hang out inside and/or outside to enjoy your drinks and canapés that the ship serves in the bar/lounge areas prior to dinner. The bartenders were fantastic and remembered what drinks we wanted and our names. Rex and Fred were outstanding! We loved meeting the Art Dealer and his wife in the bar. In the evening after 5 pm, women are expected to wear long pants or a dress, it can be casual on informal to casual nights. And men are expected to wear long pants. On Formal nights men are expected to wear jackets and a tie as well in the dining and indoor restaurants. The exception is if you eat at The Grill. The Restaurants; My favorite restaurant was La Terrazza because it was fabulous Italian food and you could eat outside which was fun during a sail away. The pasta was freshly made everyday, and the portions were small and the menu changed slightly day to day. I really appreciated all that. Our least favorites were the 2 specialty restaurants, Le Champagne and Star Supper club, not because of the food, because all the food on the ship was 5 star, but mostly because the service took so long. We sat there for 3 hours in each. I don't like to sit anywhere 3 hours straight! The wine served with all the meals were delicious choices. Someone definitely knew how to pair wine with the meals and did a great job! However, it was a very nice experience to spontaneously decide to have dinner with another couple, and not have to have an awkward moment with someone new as to who is going to pay, or how to divide up the check. Because, we all already paid for everything in advance of the trip. The Pool area: I found the pool a bit on the cold side, it could have been a degree or two warmer to be able to lounge in it. Even though Greece was having a heat wave, the pool was colder than the Greek ocean water. There were always empty lounge chairs, and so it was easy to relax by the pool. The Cabin on Deck 4: Let me tell you it is the biggest suite we have ever cruised, and we booked the least expensive regular cabin and it was huge. It has 4 separate sections. 1) First we walked in we noticed a soaking tub for 2 people, as well as a large shower ( for a cruise ship) As well as plenty of space for toiletries on the granite bathroom counter with dual sinks. Our fabulous butler brought us balloon's for my birthday, yes we celebrated my birthday on the ship as well, and we had a bath drawn for us 2 nights out of our 10 day cruise. We felt spoiled and well taken care of! We even had our sunglasses cleaned and polished with a polishing cloth that was left for us, and my husband also had his shoes shinned, and at the end of our trip our luggage was thoroughly cleaned inside and out. 2) The second section was the walk in closet space with enough hangers to hang all our clothes and plenty of spare room in the closet and a 6 drawers tall chest of drawers. There was plenty of room to change our clothes in the closet area. 3) The King bed area, also had two end tables on each side as well as a vanity at the foot of the bed with a TV in the wall area, which doubled as a mirror when the TV was off. There was plenty of cabinets in which to store things, but we didn't end up using it. 4) The fourth area had a curtain that could be drawn between the seating area with a coffee table, couch and sitting chair. It also had another TV in the wall/mirror area and another vanity area. This area also had a refrigerator that was stocked with our favorite drinks as well as fresh ice everyday. We did not spend much time in the cabin because we toured everyday, but when we did spend time in it, we loved the space! We did not book a balcony cabin, and we were told by our butler Riju that it was too warm to hang out on the balcony anyway because of the heat wave, and that we then had more floor space in our suite without it. The Passengers: There was a mix of couples and friends traveling together. Everyone was open to meeting new people, and we got to meet and know some very interesting, warm and engaging people. And it was wonderful that everyone shared tips about the various restaurants and excursions. We met a recently retired NFL coach and his lovely wife, a retired attorney. A 29 year old entrepreneur who had also brought his girlfriend and parents on the trip. And a lovely retired couple from Australia and another lovely couple from S. Africa. Excursions: Each excursion had about 22 people or less, and we never waited in any lines whatsoever, not for getting off the ship, not for dinner, and not for an elevator as you do on some of the bigger ships. Also the entertainers by night become chaperones during the day trips and alert you when the time is right to get back on the bus or to leave back for the cruise ship. It was nice to get to know them well. The Gym & Spa I did go look at it, but unlike using it on cruise ships in the past, I never felt like I had the time or the energy to use it. Our excursions were in the morning, and by the time we were done touring in the Greek heat, I was done for the day. There were no at sea days on this trip. So it was tough to make time to spa as well, just not enough time for everything. I am an eclectic cruiser, I like variety of cruise styles and ships with a preference for the much larger ships. Each cruise line has their pros and cons. And I especially appreciate the larger than life entertainment & comedy & shopping on the larger ships which was missing on this smaller luxury cruise. Shopping, Gambling & Photography on board: The boutiques on board were only open very late at night, and there wasn't much to look at in the stores, I was disappointed by that. Just few pieces of very high end jewelry and clothes. If you forget something for your trip, make sure and ask the shop keeper if she has the item you need, because the most basic things one might need are hidden from view and are behind a locked mirrored cabinet. We never saw anyone gambling in the casinos when we walked by around 10 to 10:30 pm, but we were told they do get busy very late at night. Also while cruising, I do like having our pictures taken particularly for formal nights to commemorate a special trip, but there are not any photographers on this cruise. I did miss that perk that you get on the larger ships. In Conclusion; My husband prefers the Silver Sea experience over the other cruise lines. He said he has never felt more relaxed. He loved that everything was paid for in advance and that he wasn't needing to sign for anything at all! We look forward to our next trip with Silver Seas. As far as I go, I prefer the larger ships, but will definitely be more than willing to do another Silver Sea cruise in the near future. It was an unforgettable 5 star experience, and my favorite part was meeting all the fabulous friendly people, and having the most interesting conversations with them, as well as the exquisite dining experiences!

An Exquisite Cruising Experience: Unforgettable!

Silver Spirit Cruise Review by JulieMorr