3. Avalon Affinity
I had never been to Europe, so my 3 experienced traveler friends chose this vacation. I'm so glad they did. It was wonderful. I liked it because I had choices. I could pick up a map at the front desk and explore on my own, or I could go with a local guide provided by Avalon. Or, I could stay on board and relax. The local guides were very good. And the silent mic system was nice. (There was one guide who didn't seem to understand she could walk and talk at the same time. Too much standing around on that tour. But otherwise, okay.) The cruise director, Valentin, was a real hoot. So funny and so informative. The entire crew was wonderful and very personable. Tanya was our housekeeper for our room and she was great. All the bartenders and waiters were very nice. I know they work hard and have long hours, but you wouldn't know it from their demeanor. They were always pleasant. Our waiter for most of our dinners was Adrian. He's a consummate professional. We looked forward to seeing him as much as we looked forward to the food. All of the technical aspects of the cruise, buses, train, etc. were perfect. Everything was explained well and written down for us. It was easy to follow. The on-board entertainment was great. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was our last day/night in Monaco. You couldn't pay me to go to Monaco again. It's not the same as it was in the old movies. Too crowded. Ugly high rises. Tacky souvenir shops.

First cruise, a success

Avalon Affinity Cruise Review by Kerry KH

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony

The on-board entertainment was great.

Kerry KH’s Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin B 321
Plenty of storage and nicely configured to give 2 people some space. The bathroom was larger than I expected too.
Sapphire Deck Balcony Cabins