First cruise, a success: Avalon Affinity Cruise Review by Kerry KH

First cruise, a success

Sail Date: October 2016
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Paris
I had never been to Europe, so my 3 experienced traveler friends chose this vacation. I'm so glad they did. It was wonderful. I liked it because I had choices. I could pick up a map at the front desk and explore on my own, or I could go with a local guide provided by Avalon. Or, I could stay on board and relax. The local guides were very good. And the silent mic system was nice. (There was one guide who didn't seem to understand she could walk and talk at the same time. Too much standing around on that tour. But otherwise, okay.)

The cruise director, Valentin, was a real hoot. So funny and so informative. The entire crew was wonderful and very personable. Tanya was our housekeeper for our room and she was great. All the bartenders and waiters were very nice. I know they work hard and have long hours, but you wouldn't know it from their demeanor. They were always pleasant. Our waiter for most of our dinners was Adrian. He's a consummate professional. We looked forward to More seeing him as much as we looked forward to the food.

All of the technical aspects of the cruise, buses, train, etc. were perfect. Everything was explained well and written down for us. It was easy to follow.

The on-board entertainment was great.

The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was our last day/night in Monaco. You couldn't pay me to go to Monaco again. It's not the same as it was in the old movies. Too crowded. Ugly high rises. Tacky souvenir shops. Less

Published 05/11/16

Cabin review: B321 Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony

Plenty of storage and nicely configured to give 2 people some space. The bathroom was larger than I expected too.

Read All Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony (B) Reviews >>

Walking tour.
Read 33 Arles Reviews

Loved the walk around the walled city.
Read 41 Avignon Reviews

We did the walking tour with the local guide and it was great.
Read 38 Lyon Reviews

Didn't see much of Nice from the bus. Traveled thru it.
Read 135 Nice Reviews

I was with 3 ladies who knew how to get around Paris. We did it on our own, using the Metro. We went to Musee d' la Orangerie for the Monet exhibit. It was lovely.
Read 132 Paris Reviews

Member Since 2016
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X