• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Monarch Empress Review

Editor Rating

My first river cruise and well worth it

Review for Monarch Empress to Europe River
joepsca
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Nov 2016
Cabin:

A wonderful single rate was available and the ship was new so I thought, why not? First, the booking process was easy...did it all with some internet research and a few phone calls. Everything I wanted to know arrived by e-mail. From home airport to the destination city--all was taken care of by Gate 1. Transfers included baggage handling so I felt comfortable and relaxed throughout. Onboard welcome was wonderful. Crew introductions and availability was superb. Everything was organized well. The cabin was beautiful and well designed with marble bath, french balcony and plenty of storage. Included shore excursions were ample and the access for "on your own" adventures were facilitated by the ship's docking close (walking distance) to city center (except in Vienna, but transportation was nearby).

Good entertainment including a hilarious evening of crew skits and performances. Favorite for me was the camaraderie of fellow passengers. I was never left without an invite to join a table or excursion...but never felt pressured. We had many a good time and there were few "cliques". I would do it again...and again.

Cabin Category A

Although 24/7 coffee and beverages were available in two areas, I would have appreciated room service for coffee in the morning. Also, while there is television in each room, missing was radio/music. Adding a channel or two to the TV would be nice. Last, I missed having an alarm clock (or any clock!). Next time I'll bring one.

Port Reviews

Regensburg

Visited a local pub and had a wonderful visit with the locals

Vienna

A great walking city with lots to see.

Bratislava

Great walking with with extensive "pedestrian only" shopping areas. Friendly locals.

Budapest

Only took the morning ship provided walking tour as an excursion, then set out on my own. City is a bit dreary (Buda) and the locals not very friendly (a bit pushy too). Only stop on the cruise where I made sure I secured my money. The town marketplace was an excellent and cheap place to buy goodies for home gifting (caviar, pate, etc. were packaged for traveling and prices were 1/3 that of US).

49 Helpful Votes