Viking Idun Cruise Review

Viking Idun Cruise Review by Manyfrog

• Sail Date: Nov 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

Being a runner who has logged over 35,000 miles, many years ago recognized that I had damaged my inner ear which causes me to easily experience vertigo. Never thought I would take a cruise for this reason. Then my wife talked me into trying a river cruise. So glad she did but so sad we waited so long to experience the Viking Experience. Never felt any vertigo on the ship regardless of it being docked, moving or going through a lock.

We opted for a veranda suite and loved the extra space and location of the room. Very functional, plenty of storage and hanger space. The twice daily room service was a plus and our cabin staffer did a great job anytime we had a different or special request. Internet was spotty in the room but who cares when on vacation. Laundry service was easy and always 1-day service (no charge if in a suite on this boat).

The food was always tasty and plentiful and our servers did a great job learning our names and likes/dislikes almost instantly. Same with the bar tenders - Crown Royal on the rock please. The concierge learned quickly I liked to run and she would give me advance notice when the ship would be docked overnight so I could get up early and get in a run before breakfast.

The only downside to this particular Viking cruise (Cities of Light) was the first 2 and last 2 days were spent in hotels. The hotels were OK but traveling from the hotel to the boat and vice-versa was tiresome. We extended both sides of the cruise and did each outside of Viking as we are very experienced travelers and made arrangements on more favorable terms than Viking provided.

We loved our first Viking Experience enough that we are planning a Russian river cruise in 2018. Cannot wait to experience the Viking Experience again.

Manyfrog's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Suite

If in the budget, get a suite. Even though you do not spend too much time in the room, having a suite with 2 rooms allows one person to shower while the other can relax in the other room.

Manyfrog