L'Austral Cruise Review

Close to luxury

L'Austral Cruise Review by Double0

• Sail Date: Jan 2017
  • Destination: the South Pacific

Above all DON'T DRINK the WINE!

On day one I tried the ship's wine, it was awful (to be kind.) On the second day I ordered a bottle of French Bordeaux Margaux for 125 Euros thinking I've never had a bad Margaux. I was wrong this was as bad as the ship's selection. For a French line this is a sin. There were higher priced wines available but based on this experience I abstained for the rest of the voyage.

This cruise was part of a Tauck tour through Australia and NZ. What I was told of Tauck being a luxury tour group was wrong. It was average in reality but priced like a luxury tour.

The food in the 2nd floor dining room was generally poor with limited menu items. The buffet on the 5th deck was a little better because you could pick and choose you poison.

Overall for a ship "hand picked" by Tauck for luxury this was a mistake. Like others on this trip I paid dearly for this tour and I do not believe that I got what I paid for.

As this was a smaller ship I did not expect many choices with entertainment and activities. This was as expected.

The ship's staff were accommodating and friendly especially the ship's Master and Doctor.

Double0's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Prestige Cabin Deck 5

The cabin was to be either Queen or Twin but was King sized. I realized the cabin was small and we could not obtain an upgrade as we booked "only" 6 months in advance. A Queen bed would have given us enough room to walk past one another without waiting but the King bed was just too big for the cabin.

The cabin has a separate water closet and washroom. They should have had a sink within the water closet to be sanitary.

The ship itself was clean and well maintained but after we departed the ship we thought that our bed sheets were not changed at all for the length of the tour, I may be wrong but thinking back I believe that they were not changed.

Double0