• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

scranton33
First Time Cruiser • Age 30s

Sail Date: Aug 2009
Cabin:

This is my 10th cruise, but my first cruise with Norwegian (I have previously cruised with Princess, Holland America, and Royal Caribbean). Overall my friend and I greatly enjoyed ourselves (we are both in our twenties), but they were things that we would definitely recommend that the ship consider improving: 1. There is a $10 fee to exchange money - ouch! I would recommend going to an atm in each country to avoid the fee. 2. There were only 3 power outlets in our cabin, one in the bathroom, one under the TV and one by the vanity mirror. There is a bigger need for outlets now since people need to charge the batteries for their digital cameras and phones. 3. The same movies were showed every day on our cabin TV. On all of my previous cruises, there was a different selection of movies every 2 days. 4. There were not that many activities planned on the ship besides Wii and karaoke. In addition activities that used to be free such as having tour of the galley now have a fee. 5. The ship ran out of mints halfway through the trip, which seems impossible to do b/c the ship runs this route all summer thus they should know how many mints to order per cruise. 6. The gym should put all of the TVs on mute b/c it is very annoying to be using a machine next to someone who has their TV blaring. On other cruise lines the only way you can get sound on the TV is by using headphones. 7. The ship docked far from the ports in St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm which was annoying b/c then we had to pay for transportation from the ship to the port. 8. The shows in the Theater were not that great, but we did greatly enjoy the circus show. Also, the comedian was terrible. Next time NCL should consider booking an American comedian instead of a British comedian since the majority of the passengers are American and have a different sense of humor than the British. 9. Check the weather before you go, b/c it rained and it was cold, thus I should have packed a warmer jacket. 10. There should be a sign up sheet for the Wii/Karaoke rooms b/c some people monopolized the rooms for multiple hours on the days at sea. 11. The desserts were pretty horrible, but I really liked the cookies and the frozen yogurt. The pretzel bread was amazing too. 12. The ship needs to improve their embarkation process. We used the NCL bus to get from the Heathrow to Dover. When we arrived at Dover we were told we couldn't check in for another hour. After we checked in, we weren't allowed on the boat for another hour and a half. When we finally got on at 12 noon, we were so exhausted that we wanted to go directly to our rooms to rest, but the cabins weren't available untill 2pm!

Pros: 1. The staff was very friendly. 2. The deck on 7 was very nice for walking since there was special material on the floor so you wouldn't slip. 3. The shower had a door instead of a curtain, which was a definite plus! 4. It was easy to get a table at dinner.

Port Reviews

Copenhagen

We booked an NCL excursion, Charming walk of Copenhagen and canal tour. The tour guide gave an excellent tour, our only complaint was that the boat used for the canal tour had a roof that you couldn't see through. Thus if you were unable to sit outside at the back of the boat, your view was obstructed. We went to the icebar by ourselves. It was a neat experience, but rather pricey and overrated. Our biggest frustration with Copenhagen was when we tried to take a bus back to where the boat was docked. We were told on the ship that we could use USD on the bus 26, but our bus driver refused to take USD or Euros so we walked back, which took almost an hour.

Tallinn

The old town was very small. We used our Rick Steves book to explore the sites. The town was pretty, but there wasn't much going on and it seemed like the old town only existed because of the tourists.

Helsinki

We went on a NCL tour of the Fortress. This tour was a disappointment because after we walked around the island, the guide gave us an hour of free time on the island, but there was nothing to do since we had already seen the sights. I would recommend taking the ferry by yourself to the Fortress and using the Rick Steves book.

Stockholm

This was a beautiful port. We used the hop on/ hop off bus and took it to the Vasa museum. The museum was interesting, but ate up a lot of our time. We were docked in Stockholm from 9-3, which was way too short. We then hurried through old town with our Rick Steves book. I would have preferred staying in Stockholm longer and cutting down on the time in both Tallinn and Helsinki.

Find a Norwegian Jewel Cruise from £369