S.S. Maria Theresa Cruise Review

S.S. Maria Theresa Cruise Review by c.prela

• Sail Date: Aug 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French Balcony

I had heard this was a concierge cruise, but it turned out to be a floating infirmary.

This was our first river cruise ever. We booked the Budapest to Amsterdam, August 25 – September 11, 2016, dates along with the pre and post cruise extensions tours.

Though we found the rates for the 2-day extensions tours high, $600 per person in Budapest and $960 per person in Amsterdam, we expected they would be great tours with lovely hotel rooms. However, we were given a mediocre room in the Budapest Corinthia hotel and at the Amsterdam Movenpick hotel; both of which I found on-line to be under $200 for double occupancy. Nor were the tours, themselves of the anticipated quality.

Our cruise commenced August 28th- September 11, 2016. Upon arrival, we learned from fellow cruise traveler that our cruise was a singles cruse and that there was no single occupancy supplement being charged for rooms with only one occupant. By doing this, Uniworld was effectively charging couples more for a shared room than they were charging a single person occupying the same room type. And, by not having to share the room, the single person was far more comfortable than we were in our room, while we paid twice the amount for the same room type.

The cleaning was sloppy. Our glasses in the bathroom were left dirty for several days. I reported this to the front desk and the house keeping head apologized.

Perhaps this lack of attention to cleanliness was why as the cruise unfolded, one-by-one, the crew became ill with a respiratory disease. Yet they still continued to service our cruise. Next, the guests became ill with a respiratory disease. By mid-cruise, 25% of the guests were sick with high fever, head congestion and coughing. An unknown number of crew was visibly coughing and sick as well. Five days before our final stop, Amsterdam, both my husband and I became ill. When we returned home, my husband was diagnosed with pneumonia. A few days later I followed with a temperature of over 105 degrees and I also was diagnosed with pneumonia.

Given that this cruise with extensions cost close to $20K, I thought if I contacted Uniworld regarding our negative experience that they would be more than happy to offer good-wiil and offer some sort of discount or refund but I thought wrong, they were not.

The entertainment had a mediocre singer during happy hour. A couple of guest entertainers. The dinners were ok and the "free" wine was not of the best quality. The red was not drinkable and the whites were ok, given that the cruse was in Germany mostly the north. The port excursions were interesting though some were canceled.

c.prela's Full Rating Summary

Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin 2 323

There were very few cabins with a balcony and only window or french balconies were available. Yes, the bathroom had marble. But one does not live in the bathroom. Our room had two chairs and a round table in front of the window that did not fit within that area, i had to move this just to use the night table drawers. The room was two small for two people . One of us had to sit on the bed to let the other pass at the foot of the bed, at the closet area and by the window. Basically, the room was the same size as the bed plus 2 - 3 feet. I did not find this cruse worth the price. This was hardly the luxury room that was described.

City Tour

We saw the city... nothing special. It was good having a native speaker who oriented us to the city.

View All 353 City Tour Reviews
Culinary Tour

This was supposed to be a two day excursion, but was really only 1 day plus a morning. We were toured around Budapest on the first day, then we squeezed in a cooking class right be for boarding. It was a great class and I would recommend it, but it was hurried because we were in jeopardy of missing the boat.

View All 17 Culinary Tour Reviews

We were supposed to attend a concert but the river was too low so we had to leave early.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Cologne

The cathedral was interesting. But you can only enjoy architecture of so many churches.

Frankfurt

The guide took us to the old town and market. We sampled foods. I was not impressed that the market food, hot dogs and deserts, were handed to us with bare hands, especially since this cruise ship was quickly becoming ill with a respiratory disease.

Bamberg

Guide gave a general tour of the area and history.

Regensburg

We had a nice guide that showed us the city and the bridge.

c.prela