Queen Isabel Cruise Review

Queen Isabel Cruise Review by hg29

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with Window

My brother has done several river cruises with UNIWORLD and has always spoke highly of those experiences. We decided to join him and his wife on the Douro River cruise on board Queen Isabel. I expected a five star trip but this was not the case. The actual cruising time is only four nights. I don't think we needed two nights in Porto before sailing. We certainly did not need two nights at a place that is nothing more than a fly spot on the map whilst waiting to be transferred to Madrid. Yes there was a tour to Castillo De Rodriguez but that only took care of three hours or so of that stopover. To be fair, I enjoyed the shore excursions put on by Uniworld and have no real complaints about them.

However this does not apply to the food and drink on board. It really annoyed me that most of the decision on what to eat was restricted to main course only. This occurred on three occasions of the five nights aboard. The menu for the rest of the courses had been decided by the Chef. The food was not of five star quality- I had better on a recent cruise on board Celebrity Solstice. The wines were a big disappointment as like the food, all came from Portugal. The wines on offer were very high in acid. There was no Champagne and no other alternatives for the wines. Some of the wines we purchased ashore were of a far better quality than those aboard.

The service was mixed. The waiters tried very hard but due to the lack of numbers of them, were often forgetful when servicing the needs of the diners. In particular, the situation on the sun deck. One (very new to cruising) waiter tried to meet the demands of at least 40 people. Just couldn't cope and rightfully so.There was also a language problem in that few of the waiters were fluent in English.

Please know that this is not a five star cruise despite the very expensive price tag and the experience in my view, is a smear on UNIWORLD'S reputation.

I understand that UNIWORLD charters the Queen Isabel and has little intervention over the use of Portuguese staff, food and beverages. Maybe UNIWORLD needs to rethink its presence on the Douro River.

Scenic does the same trip and it is booked out. Maybe that is because Scenic has its own boat and does not have to compromise its level of service or its reputation.

It would take quite an incentive for me to chose to cruise with UNIWORLD again.

hg29's Full Rating Summary

Outside Stateroom with Window
Cabin 4 219

The cabin was comfortable and very clean. I appreciated the prompt daily cleaning from the friendly cabin attendants. As I have problems with my knees, I welcomed the elevator which serviced all floors of accommodation.

City Tour

Smooth boarding and interesting sights.

View All 88 City Tour Reviews
City Tour

Porto is a very hilly town with many wonderful sights. The coach driver was experienced in negotiating very narrow roads.

View All 45 City Tour Reviews
Vega de Terron (Salamanca)

We did a trip to the local castle which was interesting. A few craft shops and a cafe where you could sample some wines. Note: this place has few places to sit especially when trying to escape the heat.

hg29