American Empress Cruise Review

Refurbished ship needs work

American Empress Cruise Review by Cwjabernard

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: the USA

Regrettably, our $7K cabin had malfunctioning air conditioning. It was terribly hot so we were provided with a fan! On the fourth day of the cruise, a maintenance person fixed the air conditioning unit but the thermostat was irregular and lowered to 65 degrees. With this, this, the air conditioning vent started dripping a significant amount of water into the carpeted floor. It was only after my third try that there was any action, and since I had the staff attention, I asked to have the room fully cleaned as well. There was significant dust on the baseboards and where the carpet met the walls. There was food in the refrigerator when we arrived. My assessment is there is simply no quality control. Yes, the ship has an English speaking crew but if they are not attentive, then it is of no value to the passenger. The company's apology to me was a complimentary bottle of wine. As for dining room food, I don't know. I asked someone how they liked the food and the reply was "I guess it is ok if you are hungry." My husband and I missed the first night dining because our room was so hot making unpacking impossible in the short time frame we had to unpack and change. When we did go to the dining room another day, we were seated by ourselves so we never went back. Instead, we had room service on our veranda. The value of the cruise for money spent is absurd. The scenery is really nice but the cruise experience was not something I would recommend.

Cwjabernard's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Veranda E 411

Very small. Furnishings were Victorian styled and showing wear. Good closet space with plenty of hangars. Not well suited for handicap person because of step up into the bathroom, and getting a wheelchair over the ship's raised doorways. Good viewing through the windows.

Cwjabernard