Viking Helgi Cruise Review

A cruise that exceeded my expectations

Viking Helgi Cruise Review by kftravel17

• Sail Date: Jul 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Outside Stateroom

I chose thiis cruise because I have always wanted to see St. Petersburg because of the history of the Romanov dynasty. I was not disappointed. Embarking and disembarking was smooth and efficiently handled. We were greeted promptly at the airport and traveled by bus to the ship where we were greeted with a typical Russian beverage and shown promptly to our cabin,

The Helgi,a large but homey ship, had several cozy areas where one could sit by a window on the landings of each staircase. In addition, there were 2 gathering areas (each with a bar and tables): a nice cozy cafe where one could grab a quick continental breakfast in the fore of the ship and a larger area in the aft where the talks and nightly entertainment were held. The duo piano player and female singer were a highlight of the evening and played a variety of music that we could dance to.

The staff were exceptionally attentive to our needs for the entire cruise.The restaurant staff were friendly and catered to our needs.One of the nice surprises was a luncheon party on the large outdoor deck where the crew served typical Russian food and drinks including beer and vodka.

The Hermitage Museum, the winter palace of the Romanovs, was an included tour not to be missed as was the Peterhof Palace,

Moscow also exceeded my expectations. Don't miss the night tour of the city. It was amazing.

kftravel17's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Outside Stateroom
Cabin DX 219

We had the least expensive cabin and I must say it was a bit smaller than the cabin we had on the Bordeaux cruise. We had a post a the foot of one of the twin beds that hampered our movement somewhat. The crew did, however, put a towel around the pole to prevent our bumping into it.

kftravel17