Viking Eir Cruise Review

Viking Eir Cruise Review by Seattle1stTime

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony

This was a great way to experience Europe for the first time. Not only does your room travel with you, but you are taken care of from the minute you step off the airplane until you step up to the airline counter on the departure. We booked the pre-excursion in Amsterdam and were met at the airport without any problem. The hotel (Okura) was very nice. It was located outside of the old downtown but the tram was accessible. The location of the hotel allowed for having meals at restaurants where the locals eat instead of the tourists. (Some selections were pointed out to us on the walking tour the next day.) There is a Viking representative at the hotel to greet, answer questions, and suggest activities. Transfer of luggage to the ship was worry-free. The ship itself was beautiful and clean. We had a room with a balcony, but would have been just fine on the other side - it was nicer to sit on the upper deck than the room balcony. All of the staff was amazing. It was remarkable how many of them could greet us by name by the third day of the cruise. They were all friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The included port excursions were great, using local guides. They were just the right length of time, keeping the remainder of the day open for optional excursions or exploring the port on your own. My only negative comment is that it appeared, upon booking, that we'd be in port in Basel, Switzerland long enough to see something. But when the packet arrived with the airline schedule and details, it was clear we would only be departing the ship and heading to the airport on that day. I am a fearful traveler, although I hate to admit it, and was worried about this trip from the time it was booked. The experience was so amazing that I feel I could go on European excursions by myself (in addition to another cruise - planning on the Danube next). (As a new traveler, I appreciated the daily briefings on what would happen the next day.)

Seattle1stTime's Full Rating Summary

French Balcony
Cabin D 115

City Tour

Local tour guide was very informative (and entertaining)

View All 125 City Tour Reviews