River Countess Cruise Review

Truly a boutique line ...

River Countess Cruise Review by barnegatcruiser

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Europe River

I have been on many, many cruises before, but this surpassed them all. We went to Milan as a pre-cruise program. We were met at the airport by a Mercedes which took us to the Hotel Rosa, situated a stone's throw from the Duomo, perfect location. A Uniworld desk was located in the lobby with announcements, suggestions for lunch and dinner and the activities of the day. We had an orientation walk to show just what an ideal location our hotel was. A recommendation for dinner was superb: family-owned, fresh food, excellent, friendly staff. We were on a walking tour the next day which included an early visit to the Last Supper. I am a slow walker and use a cane. Never was I left alone; there was always a Uniworld staff member in front and behind the group. In the afternoon, we visited La Scala at our own expense, and then we were treated to bellinis afterwards in a local cafe--splendid. Again, another excellent recommendation for dinner. On Sunday, we were on the move to Verona for a walking tour. Next, we visited a winery owned by Dante's family which paired our delicious lunch with various wines. It was here where I purchased excellent olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

We arrived to the Countess in Venice. Orientation by Damiano who provided an overall discussion of what to expect on these next 7 days. Everything you see on the Uniworld promotional material is seen on the Countess: beautiful lobby, fresh flowers all over, good-size bar, friendly staff. My only complaint was how small the room, especially the bathroom.

Meals were gourmet, wine and spirits flowed. Our waitstaff were friendly and very knowledgeable about all the items on the menu. They were very eager to please. On the evening when we went to St. Mark's, we returned to the ship and were treated to a magnificent buffet--lots of good, filling choices.

Our tours were excellent, all conducted by experts in their field: Susan, an art historian, a woman who knew all about wine, and a woman who specialized in the outer islands from Venice. I had never been to Padua and Bologna so this was eye-opening for me. Chioggia is a gem: mussel harvesting up close and personal, followed by an outstanding lunch of these succulent, sweet mussels.

On board, we had a tiramisu making workshop, an Italian singer and two opera singers.

I can't wait to travel again on Uniworld; they are the BEST.

barnegatcruiser's Full Rating Summary

Burano Island

Saw the lace-making, shopped, wonderful luncheon recommendation.

View All 38 Burano Island Reviews
City Tour

Professional, knowledgeable, friendly

View All 32 City Tour Reviews
Doge's Palace

I was in the slow-walking group so I appreciated the pace.

View All 43 Doge's Palace Reviews
Padua Walking Tour

The Church tour was excellent as was the short walking tour afterwards/

View All 8 Padua Walking Tour Reviews
St. Mark's Square

I will never forget Susan's presentations!

View All 47 St. Mark's Square Reviews
Venice Walking Tour

Very informative. Spent some time on the Rialto for shopping.

View All 78 Venice Walking Tour Reviews
Verona Walking Tour

Too crowded on the Sunday we visited.

View All 2 Verona Walking Tour Reviews