Wind Star Cruise Review

Misrepresentations from start to finish

Wind Star Cruise Review by scrosser

• Sail Date: Aug 2017
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom

I chose the cruise for two specific reasons - sailing ship and voyage highlights. Third time on Wind Star, third time did not actually use the sails for sailing power. Per corporate, should not expect the masted ships to actually engage in sailing. Will be a very rare occurrence. Won't bother to book again. Secondly, voyage highlight was to visit Plitvice National Park in Croatia, but then somehow, no such excursion offered. Corporate response: sorry if I felt their marketing was misleading. Final straw - Guest services manager answered my phone and cancelled the delivery of my lost luggage to the ship. I didn't ask her to answer the phone, only charge it since my charging cord was in the lost bag. Corporate says she acted appropriately in answering my phone, and they accept no responsibility for the $150 cab fare I incurred in order to get my bags from the airport. I realize it was a miscommunication on her part with the Croatian caller, but having taken it upon herself to answer my phone, AND inadvertently cancel my luggage being delivered to the ship, I felt Windstar should feel accountable - NOPE. Just hope nothing goes wrong if you book with them. Also, be aware that the excursions are VERY pricey and bus group travel (with all that that entails). I think describing it as "your own private yacht" is a real stretch. I could go on regarding that subject, but my suggestion is just to temper your expectations. It is wonderful to travel on a small ship, but don't expect "private yacht experience" when virtually every schedule is completely out of your control and not necessarily very efficient for the guests.

scrosser's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin B 105

Very noisy (common complaint among passengers) so best to bring ear plugs if at all sensitive to the engine and generator noise; air conditioning varied widely (again, common complaint - either freezing or too warm. Thermostats bore no relation to actual temperature). I had to fix the DVD player because prior guest had left a disc jammed in the player. Cabin stewards do work very hard to service the cabins (water, ice, restock the fridge, fresh towels and linens as needed).

I picked because it was supposed to be a "sailing" day on a "sailing" ship. Was clear that "captain" had little to no sailing experience, and did not plan to actually "sail" the boat. Another passenger and I with sailing experience ended up taking over as all guests onboard did want to sail

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Split

Was told by GSM that my luggage was in lost in found in the cruise terminal. We were docked at the ferry terminal, which I searched high and low. Questioned anyone I could find - no such thing as "lost and found". GSM had answered my phone and told the driver to leave my luggage in the terminal, so he left it at the airport, rather than deliver it to the ship as instructed by KLM. Local WS agent insisted my luggage was NOT at airport. Cost me $150 to go to airport and collect my luggage. Windstar says not their problem. No acceptance of responsibility created by their GSM answering my phone and cancelling the delivery to the ship.

Sea Kayaking

Hot, hot day. Was glad to be kayaking. Very knowledgable guide (although disappointing lunch for that much activity. Also, height of tourist season (because according to the WS program director, should not visit Adriatic in fall due to bad weather) so LOTS of other kayakers all converging on same cave.

View All 14 Sea Kayaking Reviews

Enjoyed visiting the National Park but description of tour was off, and guide was not paying attention to guests that were struggling with the pace. Enjoyed the swimming off the boat and they served a great lunch.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Venice

Had booked Venice tour for final day. Found out was cancelled the night before because no one else had signed up.

scrosser