Viking Kara Cruise Review

Viking Kara Cruise Review by Merle Hanson

• Sail Date: Jun 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

My wife and I had visited Norway twice, particularly because we had relatives who still reside in Norway. But this summer we wanted to try the cruise ship option and wanted to see Europe that lies along the Lek/Noord Rivers, the Rhine, and the Danube. My wife wanted to take the Rhine Getaway cruise and I wanted to take the Passage to Eastern Europe cruise, so we compromised and took both and then decided to add the Imperial Cities of Europe to connect the other two! So we spent almost 6 weeks on Viking ships. We were amazed at the service we received from Viking. They arranged the transportation and lodging for the days we spent in Lucerne and Budapest between the tours. For the ship board cruise, Viking had personnel to help us at the airport, a program director at the hotel to answer all the questions, and aboard the Kara, the service, food, and entertainment was truly spectacular. Viking made the entire trip seamlessly efficient and pleasant. The cruise stops were well organized and the program director on the Kara was exceptional, both with information about port stops and helpful to answer any questions.

Two of my favorite memories: I suppose because of jet lag, I was up the second night of the cruise at 4 am. I sat out on the veranda (I do encourage all travelers to have a veranda) as we traveled along the river. Passing one small village in the early dawn, I could smell the aroma of baking bread coming across the river. It was so exhilerating! The second memory I treasure is the stop at Breisach, Germany at the Colmar World War II tour.

But all the port stops brought something new, both visually and also intellectually. All very stimulating! Thanks Viking!

Merle Hanson's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 205

Excellent. Clean, brightly lit, comfortable beds, and I LOVED the pillows. I finally found the manufacturer because I wanted a pillow like that.

The room attendant kept the cabin meticulous. I was very impressed.

Merle Hanson