Crystal Mahler Cruise Review

Cruise was as expected but not exceptional

Crystal Mahler Cruise Review by graham2213

• Sail Date: Nov 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Suite

We chose this cruise because of its reputation as a high end company and wanted to experience the benefits of a high end river cruise. In the end, sadly, not any better than AMA or Avalon. Everything was good. But, you know, just good isn't great and I was looking for a wow factor each day. (And whether anyone else chooses to write a review from our cruise, my comments were repeated by a number of guests.). Other guests who have travelled extensively with Crystal on their oceangoing ships rave out that. We may give that a try. We did feel very well looked after.

The crew were very professional, enjoyed them every day. The tours were fine, the food was fine. Our bed was fine. Storage was fine. A disapointment for me was the fact that there was no option to dine from a menu at breakfast and lunch. Our previous river cruises offered that option. I didn't pay extra to eat buffet every day. And if you are not an early riser, forget having breakfast in the dining room. It Finishes at 9:00a.m. We are on vacation and we may be ready to dine shortly after 9 but that is already too late. We were able to help ourselves on the upper deck to breakfast items so we certainly didn't go hungry! The captain, first mate, chef all made themselves available throughout the cruise and they were all very personable. Our room was nice. The toilet configuration is a little odd.

I feel badly that I can't be more positive about our trip. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip but it wasn't unlike our other river ship experiences and I expected more. So, a very subjective view but it is how I feel. I certainly wouldn't dissuade someone from taking a Crystal river cruise.

graham2213's Full Rating Summary

Suite

On any river cruise I suggest a top deck room as sometimes you are in locks or docked and lower deck rooms are below the dock line. Our room was fine. Bed and bedding was luxe. Bathroom was tiny but functional. Large shower.

City Tour

Very informative. We missed the market tour. It is probably a good tour to take. We arrived in Budapest a day early, stayed at the Corinthia Hotel. Absolutely fabulous. The hotel is beautiful, the food in their restaurant was beyond wonderful and the largest breakfast selection I have ever seen. Beautiful surroundings.

View All 353 City Tour Reviews
Belvedere Palace & Museum

Beautiful palace tour with welcome glass of champagne. Wonderful orchestra, ballet dancers and opera singers. A must do!

View All 29 Belvedere Palace & Museum Reviews
City Tour

Part bus part walk. Amazing city. The main square with St. Stephen's cathedral (a must see, absolutely breathtaking) and the shopping. It is said Vienna is one of the top 5 cities in the world for luxury shopping. Every iconic brand name you can think of is in Vienna. Their stores are all on cobbled streets that run as spokes off the main square. Magnificent.

View All 169 City Tour Reviews

It's a tiny place but charming. We walked around on our own.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Walking Tour

Beautiful city. We docked in town so, after the first half hour of the walking tour, we went off on our own. Blocks and blocks of shopping on cobbled pedestrian promenades. We stopped into a restaurant for a beer and a coffee. Easy town to walk around.

View All 218 Walking Tour Reviews
Regensburg

Thoughts on this are foggy but I'm sure it was as delightful as the other stops.

Nuremberg

Nuremberg was a delightful surprise. The Crystal shuttle took us to the centre of town where there was a massive town square and it was market day. The array of flowers, meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. was incredible. Easy city to walk around with a small river running through it so small bridges to walk back and forth. Again another huge square with a pedestrian promenade and great shopping. A beautiful place. Pleasantly surprised.

Bamberg

We docked near the town and walked for quite a while through the town. beautiful. again, many shops.

Wurzburg

Toured the Residenz. Beautiful palace. Weather was a little rainy so we didn't do much. We were there on a previous trip with good weather and at one of the bridges there are some bars beside the bridge and you can take your drink to the bridge and watch river cruise boats go by. It is a charming old city.

Walking Tour

We started out with the tour guide. Then we went off exploring. It's a nice size city, lots to see and do.

View All 104 Walking Tour Reviews
City Tour

Started out with the tour guide then went off on our own. Same drill as the other cities and towns. Lots of shopping, beautiful churches.

View All 125 City Tour Reviews
Van Gogh Museum

When we arrived in the morning the weather was foggy and drizzly. So we didn't see a lot. It is a very large city and while we were on the bus to go the the Van Gogh museum we saw block after block of apartments. Apparently the population is 840,000 so very large city. And even more bicycles. The museum was amazing. Beautiful building and multiple floors of exhibits. I thought our guide could have provided a little more info/insight into the works of art. We had over an hour to ourselves before going back to the bus and there wasn't anything else to do except look at the works of art again but not learn anymore. So the tour is worth going but maybe rent a headset if your guide isn't more forthcoming.

View All 65 Van Gogh Museum Reviews