3. Star Princess
This was our first cruise so we have nothing to compare it to. The ship was visually pleasing I believe that is due to it just coming out of dry dock for a few refurbishments. They also seemed to work hard at keeping it well maintained (polishing the brass and painting areas outside). Embarkation was very easy as we came a little later to the port with an arrival time between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. we were able to walk right up to the counter and through security with out having to wait in lines. Disembarkation went smoothly as well, we had scheduled a disembarkation excursion so we were one of the first groups off the ship. We did have to wait in the customs line but it was only about a 15 minute wait (on our day they were training new customs agents). Our cabin was C242, I thought it was clean and nicely decorated. I had envisioned a very small room because that is what I've always heard about cruise ships, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised. Our cabin was spacious, it was a balcony room which probably made it feel bigger, but the bathroom was still cozy, with just enough room for turning around in the shower. The bed was extremely comfortable, wish I could have taken it home with me. We had anytime dining which worked for us. The formal dining rooms were nice and the food was good. I have very plain taste so alot of stuff was not for me, on the other hand my husband enjoyed his meals. Sometimes the selections were just to fancy for both of us so it limited our selelction of what to eat in the dining room. I will say the biggest bonus of the dining room was our waiter Nestor and his assistant Stephen, they are why we went to the dining room. We did eat in the buffet in the morning for breakfast and the food was good with a wide selection for breakfast. We did eat in the buffet a couple of evenings, they had themes some of the nights - I personally was not a fan. If they would have kept it to one section and had other basic selections I would have preferred that. I also realize that there are so many people with different tastes that it is a challenge to please everyone. There were also places that you could get a quick bite to eat, like pizza or burgers. The food here was good also. There were alot of activites on board so you could do as much or as little as you like. I think the entertainment was excellent. The only problem that I ran into was there were times that I wanted to do activities/entertainment and they were at the same time, so I had to choose which one I wanted to do. I wish that we had more time at the ports of call. There was so much to do on each island but not enough time to get it all done. I will say that it gave us a taste of different islands and we will be able to go back to our favorite at a later date. We did our own excersions on the islands. We did take an excersion in Ensenada to La Bufadora blow hole and shopping area. It was nice to go see the blow hole but the shopping merchants were a little pushy. Our tour guide brought us to specific shops and suggested that they were the best places to buy from (personally I think she must have been getting a kick back from the merchants). We had also booked a disembarkation excursion to Univeral Studios unfortunately they cancelled this due to lack of participation. Since we had a late flight out of LA we then decided to take the other tour to Long Beach. The tour was basically being dropped off to shop and then a ride to the airport. We chose to walk to the beach - at least it was a pretty walk, because the beach was so disappointing. I have never seen so much trash on a beach. It was very sad. The area around the beach was well kept and was being used by lots of people. Overall I enjoyed our trip and would book with Princess again.

First cruise and it was a success.

Star Princess Cruise Review by moo4me2

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Overall I enjoyed our trip and would book with Princess again.
moo4me2’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BC C242
I think that our room was very nice. It was large with plenty of storage for our belongings. I was expecting it to be small and cramped, this was not the case at all. I loved having a balcony, I'm not sure I will be ever able to not have a balcony. I would go out on the balcony in the middle of the night when I woke up and look for lights of the next island. I would also be out there when we pulled into ports. Again, the bed was the most comfortable bed I've been in. Also, the bed was larger than a queen, which is what it was suppose to be. I have a queen at home and the cabin bed seemed more like a king size bed.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Blowhole Walking Tour
    The blow hole was beautiful, the shopping area was a little aggressive. The excursion also stopped at an old casino, which was pretty fun to see and there were free margarita sample at the end.
    View All 59 Blowhole Walking Tour Reviews
  • Honolulu
    Charlie was our guide for the day, we found him at the port. He was wonderful. He showed us alot of different areas on the island. He was friendly and funny. He was able to help us get to the luau that I waited to book. He brought us back to the ship so we could change while he dropped someone else off, then came back and brought us to catch the bus to the luau. I feel he went above and beyond.
    View All 610 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Waimea Canyon
    We were able to see Waimea Canyon which was beautiful and a few other stops. Alex is the owner of the tour and came recommended to me by a friend who had used his tour before. I would not recommend this tour with Alex. While he had information about the island and did bring us to the canyon, he was very rude. He started being rude to a fellow passenger before we even got on the tour. I thought it was just because he was trying to get his tours organized and that he was just stressing a little. Unfortunately, when we were on tour he couldn't stop talking about himself. He complained that even though he has been taking tours to a place for years that the shop was not giving him a good enough kick back. At one point 2 passengers were talking to each other (I was sitting right next to them and didn't hear them) and he called them out for talking and basically told them to be quiet. He then went on to tell us a story of when he was a teacher that he told his student to shut up. We were paying customers not his students and as long as the people talking were not disrupting and people that wanted to listen to him could hear him, he should of just continued. He was rude and I would take a chance going with another company and not Alex.
    View All 113 Waimea Canyon Reviews
  • Road to Hana
    We went on the Road to Hana and a few other sights. It was beautiful and we stopped at a few other very beautiful spots along the way. Richard was very informative and pointed out alot of different plants and trees along the way. We stopped at a roadside bbq stand Big Moe's BBQ and I must say it was the best food I had all vacation.
    View All 85 Road to Hana Reviews