American Empress Cruise Review

Spectacular Scenery in comfort.

American Empress Cruise Review by grannygrayfox

• Sail Date: Apr 2018
  • Destination: the USA

I am in my 70s, an Australian solo traveller, love seeing new places and love cruising. I enjoyed an upper Mississippi cruise on the American Queen a couple of years ago and, as I had never been to the Pacific Northwest before, knew that a paddle boat cruise would be a great way to go. I was not disappointed - the accommodation was VERY comfortable, food was delicious, all of the crew from the Captain down were so helpful, and very approachable. I was so impressed with the standard of entertainment, particularly for such a small boat - all were excellent. Lindy, the Hotel Manager, ran a "tight ship", with everything running smoothly on board, and external problems (eg. a dodgy lock, which wouldn't fill) were handled efficiently. Love the Hop On Hop Off buses, painted to look like riverboats, which took us around each of the towns we docked at, and on the premium excursions. My favourite was Zip-lining, which I hadn't tried before, and the jet boat cruise up the Snake River. I met lots of lovely people, so had plenty of good company when I wanted it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

grannygrayfox's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Private balcony 307

Very comfortable bed, plenty of room to unpack and store clothes, etc. A lovely place to retreat when I preferred to be quiet and restful. Balcony was under-utilised due to cold and sometimes wet weather.

Portland (Oregon)

Mt St Helens tour. Didn't exactly see the mountain, because of cloud, then snow! A novelty for me. so I loved it.

Astoria, Oregon

Zip-lining. Never tried it before, LOVED it! Instructors great - checked gear carefully, safety instructions, then we were off to our first line of eight. Each time a new challenge - throw a stone in the pond as you fly over it, lean back and let go both hands, lean down and touch the water, etc. A grat experience.

grannygrayfox