3. Celebrity Solstice
Quick observations and context: We sailed the Pacific NW cruise from Seattle to Astoria, San Francisco, Victoria & Vancouver. We have previously sailed multiple times on the Summit (and like the ship very much). We found the larger size and newer design of the Solstice VERY nice. Decks 4 & 5 (where the $$$ is) flows better than on Summit. We noticed the extra width and felt it was a more luxurious and relaxed experience. We also liked having more entertainment "out" in that area vs tucked away in a lounge. MDR was excellent as was (I can't believe I'm saying this) the buffet. We're not buffet people, but found this to be the first we went to where a) the food was fresh and really good, b) laid out clearly and easy to get what you want without standing in a long line, and c) staff was quick to clean/clear, meaning you could actually get a table. Overall - ship was run very well, clean, and felt uncrowded (I don't think they sold out, probably 90%). We would definitely sail on this class again!

1st Time After Multiples on Summit

urmurd’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1C 8158
The cabin (Balcony 8158): Couple noticeable differences. On the plus, the bathroom is better. The shower is laid out better and has a door instead of the dreaded vinyl curtain. Countertop is marble(or faux), more storage and good lighting. The closet space is moved, opening up the doorway so the room feels more open. The closet is a little smaller, but we had plenty of space for a 1-week cruise. Plenty of "hidden" storage, so our room never felt cluttered. Ventilation was very precise and quiet. Overall - we noticed the difference between the two ships and appreciated the Solstice Class. ONE NOTE ON #8158: It is a straight shot from the door to the elevator. We didn't encounter any noise that kept us from going to sleep, but we generally got awoken by the elevator "ding" starting a little after 6am. If you are not an early riser - make sure you get a room away from the elevators.
Vista Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Astoria, Oregon
    Walked on our own to the Maritime Museum. Nice walk, the museum is awesome. We probably spent 1.5 hours there, and the organized tours arrived as we we're leaving (wow - the crowd)! Glad we got there early and enjoyed it on our own. There are a couple brew-pubs and wine bars, so if you wanted to grab a drink on the walk to/from the museum, their right on the route. Well marked path along the river!
    View All 17 Astoria, Oregon Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Astoria, Oregon Cruise Port Review
  • San Francisco
    Overnight on the waterfront - seriously! It's like you're staying in a $600/night hotel. So easy to walk to the ferry's, Fisherman's wharf, downtown. I think all the balconies on deck 8 and higher had a fantastic view.
    View All 290 San Francisco Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Francisco Cruise Port Review
  • Seattle
    We did the Space Needle on our own. As expected and nice.
    View All 727 Seattle Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seattle Cruise Port Review
  • Vancouver
    We toured the Anthropology Museum on our own. Great museum, and really focuses on the First Nation. We had no idea of how Canada had treated their indigenous people. I would make this a must "rainy day" activity if you're visiting Vancouver. We took the 44 bus and it was very easy.
    View All 567 Vancouver Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Vancouver Cruise Port Review
  • Butchart Gardens
    OK - A little tough on this review, so hopefully I'll be clear enough to be helpful. First, we booked the "combined Castle/Gardens" tour (3.5 hrs). I'll review the Castle tour in the next section.
    Organization of the tours in Victoria is embarrassing. They had all the tours meeting at the end of the pier, in the rain, waiting to get "called" to board a bus. Utter chaos. Our tour bus was late, dropping off RCCL passengers from an earlier tour, so we boarded 20 minutes late. When the hit heavy traffic and didn't get to the gardens until 10 minutes after they closed. Luckily, they allowed us in, but we only had 45 minutes (not 1.5 hours) to tour the gardens. On the plus - the gardens are AMAZING. Everything I expected. On the minus - we should have gotten marathon bibs....you've never seen 50 people hustle so fast! I think we all felt Celebrity should have given a credit or done something....but never heard from them.
    View All 246 Butchart Gardens Reviews
  • Craigdarroch Castle
    Castle tour was nice. I only give this 3 stars because it isn't the "biggest" castle (mansion) you'll tour. It was nice....some neat rooms and great furniture/furnishings. But if you've toured european castles, or some American estates, this is a bit of a let-down. Glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again and wouldn't make it a priority if I was recommending things to do if you only have 6 hours in Victoria.
    View All 33 Craigdarroch Castle Reviews