Viking Buri Cruise Review

Cheese, wine, happy folks!

Viking Buri Cruise Review by bifocalpear

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Superior

For my sister's 65th birthday, we decided to cruise southern France with Viking. She & her husband started with the pre-cruise stay in Nice (which they loved), and my cousin and I joined them on the ship at Avignon for the cruise to Lyon. I have been on several river and a couple of ocean cruises with Viking, so it was no surprise that the week was delightful. The staff catered to us & made us happy every day. The cruise director was personable & perky; it was always a joy to have her company. This was southern France, so I wasn't sure if the food could live up to expectations, but no problem pleasing us & reminding us that we were in France. The young chef did not disappoint. Good food, good cheese, good wine. Happiness. Three excursions exceeded my expectations: Flavors of Provence in Avignon, the included tour in Lyon with Christian, and the all day Lyon tour Truffles and Beaujolais. In Avignon, Maison de Fogasses with Chef Luigi Baptiste was the best of the best! I think he enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed him & his lunch! Christian took us into "secret" passageways & shared his Lyon. And the truffle dog Chinook was as delightful as the truffle inspired dishes served to us on the truffle farm! No disappointment on this trip; the only problem is that I want to repeat the experience.

bifocalpear's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Superior
Cabin A 307

Clean, plenty of storage, comfortable (albeit the bed is quite firm), invisible attention by our steward, great job!

Visited a winery, truffle farm, and goat farm. I loved the truffle farm best. We met chinook the truffle dog, and he found us some truffles. Lunch with a truffle twist was excellent as well.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Arles

Awesome Roman ruins and views of the city. A little bit of the Arles that charmed so many artists.

Avignon

Flavors of Provence - excellent food tour! Especially at Maison de Fogasses with Chef Luigi Baptiste. He was personable, fun, very skilled, and made us feel like we were his friends. And his food was divine! Not a better choice than this excursion. My most memorable time of the trip!

bifocalpear