Viking Hlin Cruise Review

Thinking of Viking? Don't bother!

Viking Hlin Cruise Review by carosenthal

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: Europe River

This was my second Viking Cruise. I chose Viking again because the first cruise was so great. But in the three years between the cruises, Viking services deteriorated to the extent that I will never take a Viking cruise again. While the staff was friendly and nice, the service and food were mediocre. I never met my room steward. I could have handled the fact that the Rhine River was so low we had to leave our ship mid-cruise and board another ship (can't control weather) but we weren't even offered a travel voucher for our trouble. Every other person on every other line that I met who traveled when the Rhine conditions were not great received a travel voucher for future travel even if they weren't inconvenienced as we were. We were compensated with some free wine one night. Whoopee! The first time I traveled with Viking, the wine was free all the time!

And I don't limit my critique to the cruise. Every time I contacted Viking ahead of time for more information or advice, I was given the same response, which was "I don't know." My theory is that Viking has chosen money over service. I would chose the opposite.

Additionally, my husband couldn't travel with me and we had to use our travel insurance for reimbursement for his part of the trip. I got back less than the cost of the travel insurance, Very different from when my friend sought reimbursement for their Viking River Cruise and got the whole thing back - but that was four years ago.

Viking has changed. They aren't worth it any longer. Try another cruise line. If Viking continues in this vein, they won't be around much longer anyway!

carosenthal's Full Rating Summary