3. Independence of the Seas
We have taken a dozen cruises on Carnival and enjoyed each one. With the kids getting older we thought we'd try out Royal Caribbean with all the additional activities they offer. The kids did enjoy the waverider and rock climbing wall but overall everyone was disappointed. Believe it or not, the kids (ages 9, 12, and 14) said they still prefer Carnival. Here's why: The beds on the Independence were TERRIBLE. I woke up each morning upset (and throughout the night!) with my back and hip bothering me. I spoke to numerous other guest and over heard other people's conversations on this. One family said they were in a JR suite and had the same issues. Such low hanging fruit!!! I respectfully let guest services know and they kept adding duvet covers that did not help. It was like sleeping on plywood, definitely not what we we're looking forward to on vacation! Additionally, with the exception of the dining room staff, customer service was aweful! I am very sensitive to culture given the organization I work for has struggled with this and it appeared to me the employees were not friendly or happy, and at times down right rude. More than not the casino dealers were grumpy which does not make it fun to "donate" your money and we tend to donate more than win!!! Lastly, there were limited take and go dining options. Carnival has Guy's Burger Joint and the Blue Iguana which are wonderful but we were surprised to find Royal does not offer a grill of sorts, only the dining room buffet. The kids did not appreciate someone making their ice cream cones as well. We really wanted to switch given the amenities but sadly we will not cruise with Royal again and may try other cruise lines (maybe NCL?) or stay with Carnival.

Very disappointed