Ruby Princess Cruise Review

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by dckmusic

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I booked this cruise for a couple reasons - it was a great deal when we booked and sailing out of LA is an easier flight for us. We really didn't care where it was going and weren't really excited about Mexico at all. We figured we'd just stay on the ship on port days and enjoy that aspect.

However, after my sister and her husband decided to come along, we ended up booking a couple of excursions and were very glad we did. We didn't book anything in Cabo as we just planned to walk around a bit. The port area is the typical tourist trap with all the same stuff. This was what we had pictured in our original plans. But we did Stone Island Beach Resort in Mazatlan and quite enjoyed it. The beach was very nice and the food provided was very good. We aren't drinkers, so the free drinks didn't really matter to us, but for others, it would have been a big selling point. In Puerto Vallarta, my brother-in-law wanted to do the "Eco-Safari" so I thought I'd join him. It was fantastic and I'm so glad I did it. Not for those with limited mobility or those who don't like bouncing the back of a truck, but we really enjoyed it, as did those we were with. After thinking the destination of this cruise was an afterthought, my wife and I both came away thinking we could do this again.

To the ship itself - one of the things we wanted to try was an aft-facing cabin. I loved it, my wife was just OK with it. You definitely notice more movement at the rear of the ship, and while we didn't notice any more "engine" noise than mid-ship cabins, when you are on the balcony, it is quite noisy from the wake (it sounds like a waterfall - which I like, my wife not so much). The cabin itself was a typical balcony cabin with a smallish bathroom and shower, but plenty of storage space for clothes and things. The new large screen TV was nice and easy to use to access all the on-demand content, the only issue is the mirror behind the bed (directly across from the TV) would reflect the TV image back onto the screen. It's not terrible, but it can be a bit distracting depending on what you are watching. This was also the first time I didn't have to get an extension cord for my CPAP - it reached the plugin on the desk easily. Rudy, our cabin steward, was helpful and took care of everything as we have come to expect with all cabin stewards. The rooms also had the new touch entry screens that you touch (or hold close to) your keycard against to unlock the door. Not sure where Princess is going with the whole Medallion thing, but this seems to be either an interim step or backup plan.

The cruise director's staff were fantastic. Natalie, Yessy, Michelle and the guys (always had trouble catching the guys names) were great hosts and seemed to have endless energy. You saw them everywhere and they did so many things to keep us entertained. The house band (Ocean Boulevard) was really good, too, but I didn't see much of the other acts on board, other than one show of the comedian, who was pretty good. We also did the Heist on the High Seas, which was somewhat fun, but it was disappointing that you could have watched the Reveal video before the actual reveal and hand in the answer without doing anything and hope for a chance at a prize. Those videos really should wait to go on-demand AFTER the reveal.

One thing I see fairly regularly are people complaining about the food and it shocks me. I honestly don't know what people expect or what they are used to, but for me, the food is excellent. Yes, the buffet food can be a bit questionable at times in terms of temperature and quality, but overall, it was pretty good. The dining room food was excellent each night and the Salty Dog was nice for a burger or hot dog at lunch. We ate once at the Crown Grill and again, it was excellent. The food is great, the service is great. Never had a bad or even questionable meal.

The overall service was very good, though there were the odd misses, which is consistent with every cruise we've been on. It still surprises me that there are those in the dining areas that don't know they have almond milk available. One server called my wife "silly" for thinking they had almond milk, even though she'd already had it for several days in the different venues. If I had to compare the service on the Ruby to the service on the Caribbean Princess, I'd have to give the edge to the Caribbean Princess. The Ruby wasn't bad, it just wasn't quite to the level of the CP we experienced before. Of course, this can vary from sailing to sailing on each ship.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our experience on the Ruby Princess. Room for improvement, yes, but nothing that would keep us from going again.

dckmusic's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin B4 B755

One of the things we wanted to try was an aft-facing cabin. I loved it, my wife was just OK with it. You definitely notice more movement at the rear of the ship, and while we didn't notice any more "engine" noise than mid-ship cabins, when you are on the balcony, it is quite noisy from the wake (it sounds like a waterfall - which I like, my wife not so much).

Cabo San Lucas

The typical cruise port - lots of shops selling mostly over-priced, useless wares and people trying to get you to buy them. The promenade is a nice walk, but telling people "no" every few minutes isn't worth it.

The beach was very nice and included a rope to keep the "sellers" from coming in to hassle you, though the odd one tried. Lots of things to do and the meal provided was very good. Good access to washrooms as well.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Really enjoyed the many things we did on this trip and getting to see out-of-the-way places we would never see otherwise. So many different experiences, including making our own tortillas and sampling them, as well as the barbecue at the end. The tour guides were also fantastic - Manny (Armando) and Chepe the driver. Would highly recommend this if you enjoy some adventure and don't mind bouncing around in the back of a truck and hiking through the bush (on a well-worn trail). You do have a seat belt, but you still get airborne on occasion.

View All undefined undefined Reviews