MSC Opera Cruise Review

Boarded this ship 19/o2/19. Cuba, Mexico, Belize, Cayman Islands.

MSC Opera Cruise Review by Kublakhan1

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom

We chose this cruise for the itinerary, especially for Cuba. We had 3 chances to go ashore at Havana and it exceeded our expectations. The cabin was nice with large window and our cabin steward was excellent at all times. We had breakfast and lunch in the self=service restaurant, no problem there, except it was always so crowded. Our evening meal was in the Caravella restaurant. Our waiter was excellent, but seemed to be rushed off his feet looking after several tables at once, hence there was often a big delay and long wait for the food to arrive. The starters and desserts were reasonable but the main courses were not very good. I had to look at the menu several times and just decided on a starter as the quality of the food was very poor.

We ordered wine with the meal every night and duly signed the receipts. Fortunately, we kept the receipts, because on getting a print=out of the bill, three times we had been charged in excess of the wine we had ordered and signed for. Each time we had to go and queue at Reception for it to be resolved and always without an apology. I also had a tour added to my bill which I had not booked, this was duly removed. If I had left checking the bill to the last day, there would not have been enough time to rectify it, as there were queues of people waiting at reception.

Also, the practise of reserving sun beds still carries on. it was very difficult to get a sunbed as so many were reserved with towels on them.

The dress code was not adhered to. On the "Select" nights, most men still wore open neck shirts and I noticed two men wearing baseball caps back to front. Do people not like to dress for dinner anymore !!

I have travelled with Cunard, P & O, Fred Olsen and Maritime Cruises in the past, all were excellent. We did enjoy the cruise generally, especially the entertainment. The Opera group were brilliant, both for the operatic shows and the "west end shows". All were brilliant vocalists and a pleasure to watch and listen to.

Kublakhan1's Full Rating Summary