Rotterdam Cruise Review

Rotterdam Cruise Review by 22Sailings

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Spa Verandah Suite

Outdated décor, but clean.

Cabin was fine, except for several problems - a broken balcony door lock, missing remote control, and the granddaddy of them all - the shower. (a broken faucet with scalding water which couldn't be turn off - and alerted the fire department, who came pounding on the door). I made 2 attempts, with the same results - so went without for 2 weeks! They suggested I use the Spa shower.

Food was usually bland or tough, and very repetative.. But the ice cream was the best.

What entertainment they offered was fine, except there were no Shows. Highly unusual for a cruise of 2 weeks.

Activities were repeats of the same old, same old. There were lots of movies, if you need to catch up on the oldies.

Service was hit and miss. Some looked exhausted. Others were trying so hard, they soon would be too. My young cabin steward was friendly and cheerful. The older one seemed to have the need to bully me.

Ports - missed 4!! - We saw the Azores, which are lovely. The rest of the time we bobbed around in the Atlantic. Other ships crossed to the English Channel, but we didn't. Reasons varied and weren't clarified. ( a death, waiting for people at the airport, and "other reasons") For me, that meant $4,000 down the drain - with little compensation.

Would I travel with Holland America again? They'll have to pull up their socks!

22Sailings's Full Rating Summary

Spa Verandah Suite

See above.

King's Wharf

There isn't much to do there. It's clean, and mostly expensive. The dolphins were awesome. I had seen all this on my last stop there.

I was supposed to take a ferry to St. George. Due to the death we couldn't disembark on time. So I spent the day onboard.

Ponta Delgada

I had taken an excursion on a former trip, so wandered the streets and got lost. Saw many beautiful buildings. The cathedral was spectacular. Very honest and friendly people. The highlight of my cruise.

Cherbourg

We sadly missed this port. It was one of the main reasons I had taken this cruise.

Brugge (Bruges)

We missed this port. I had been looking forward to it for years. We also missed Brest. It would have been lovely seeing the Normandy countryside and way of life.

Keukenhof Tulip Festival

The tulips had past their prime, so fields were sparse, which was disappointing. A rude family shortened our time by half an hour, making sure their needs were met. So it spoiled the day.

View All 19 Keukenhof Tulip Festival Reviews