Alaskan Dream Cruise Review

2019 Inside Passage Sojourn

Alaskan Dream Cruise Review by DeputyDan

• Sail Date: Jul 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

We arrived in Sitka several days prior to the cruise. It was very nice having the cruise employees pick us up at the airport and delivering us to our place of lodging. Their overview of the town and a general layout of where things were was also helpful. (Not that Sitka is that big :-) )

Some positives:

Overall, the cruise was very good. We saw all the expected wild life - humpbacks, orcas, black bears, brown bears and the list goes on.

We were able to visit all the glaciers and locations advertised except for one and that was due to the weather. Those things happen and the alternative morning was handled very well.

The Orca point lodge outing was as good as advertised.

The cruise employees took care of the embarkation process and our luggage was promptly delivered to our lodging.

Some negatives:

The local cultural experiences got a little old. There was a method/reason to their cultural selections but we were not made aware of what it was until the trip was over. If we had of been told up front we would have had a better understanding of why we stopped where we did. Some of the cultural outings were actually good - some were really bad - the Sitka one - ugh!

The boat itself was not "luxury". My wife thought it was a step up from camping. In reality, it was better than that but was by no means high end.

I never understood the alcohol at dinner rules and I don't think the employees did either. On some nights they would come around and refill your wine glass - no questions asked. On other nights they charged for the refill - go figure. Also, we were about 1/2 way through the cruise before I was able to have a beer as opposed to wine for dinner. It was no biggie but the employees looked at me like I had three heads when I asked if I could have a beer rather than wine.

All that being said, if these are the only negatives - I was a good trip.

Other thoughts. This would not be a good cruise for significantly handicapped persons. The boat and most activities just are not set up to handle significant physical limitations. I probably would not take a small child. My guess would be age 10 and up.

I would recommend this trip to anyone interested.

DeputyDan's Full Rating Summary