Viking Eir Cruise Review

Viking Eir Cruise Review by nurseshark71

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony Superior

I’ve wanted to see the castles in Germany for most of my adult life. This was the perfect way to get in many of them. The cruise started in Amsterdam and finished in Basel Switzerland. We got in a day early to spend time in Amsterdam and visit the awesome museums. On the cruise we visited a Dutch farm and learned how they made cheese and of course saw the windmills!

Cologne was beautiful, and we had a lot of fun learning about the local brews.

Marksburg Castle was one of my favorites. SO old, and in such good shape!

Then it was nice to just sit and hear about the castles as we cruised down to Heidelberg, which was another history lesson, but much more damaged.

My favorite was Strasbourg. The history, the food! The wine!

The Black Forest was lovely. I wish it had been less crowded in the shops there. The crowds came and went as other groups joined or left the area.

Hubby and I had a French Balcony on the Third level. We are getting this level again for our next Viking cruise in April 2020. We liked being on the same level as the piano bar and open air seating. Even though I thought the room size was fine for a cruise, we really were only in there to sleep and cleanup. The bathroom is really nice with heated floors. Lovely supplies!

For next April, I will take more advantage of the books they suggest to learn about the stops before I go, but I just retired and have more time now.

I have to mention the staff. They could not do enough to make everyone on board happy. I’ve never seen such service. There is only one person on the piano except when they bring in local entertainment. But ours was great, he tried his best to keep a variety of people happy.

The bar staff were inventive and attentive. There were various activities and through them we met some great people.

We often ate off the boat, but when we ate on the boat, it was enjoyable and cooked to our requests.

The silver wine package was well worth the price!

nurseshark71's Full Rating Summary

French Balcony Superior
Cabin C 336

Clean, TV issues at first, but quickly resolved. I really only wanted it to check the daily itinerary most of the time. A little snug, but we had no issues. The floor to ceiling “window” was great while getting ready.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Included with Taste of Alsace which was our favorite excursion!

View All 95 Notre Dame Cathedral Reviews

This excursion actually keeps you from spending time in Koblenz, but it was well worth it. A bus ride and short but steep walk to get to it. Wear walking shoes. Loved it!

View All undefined undefined Reviews

A guide toured us to local dining and brews. It was educational and fun

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Heidelberg Castle

Loved the history! But you get your steps in on this one for sure.

View All 180 Heidelberg Castle Reviews