Viking Ra Cruise Review

Viking RA and Egypt are magnificent.

Viking Ra Cruise Review by josielawrence

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Middle East
  • Cabin Type: Suite

This was a gift to me from my sister. Ever since I was about 10, I have read everything about the King Tut finding by Howard Carter in 1922. EGYPT could not have been more fascinating, PLUS augmented by our Program Manager (who is himself an Egyptologist) Sharif. Just talking to him in a group or privately is an education. The other PM was Mike, also a seasoned Egyptologist. EGYPT is one place it pays to go on a tour (I tend to just book my reservations and then buy a museum pass.)

This trip was remarkable. We were made comfortable and kept informed of the day's itinerary the previous evening. Nothing, not even the transportation to and from the hotels to the boat was left to chance. Everything was done for us.

Sharif was GREAT and I owe a good deal of the cultural enrichment to him. He knows everything.

The food was also remarkable. Kai and his wife served up memorable and bountiful meals and if you can't find something you like either from the menu or the buffet, there is something wrong with you.

Most of the gentlemen servers on the ship are named Mohammed, and I'm sorry I didn't get the name of the gentleman who was responsible for keeping our cabin neat and tidy.

The ship's captain was on top of everything. He passed out cold bottles of water as we left the ship to venture to out to the tombs and pyramids.

TWO important things to keep in mind: It is going to be HOT there. Bring lightweight clothing. Also, sturdy shoes. You will be walking up to a half mile from the bus to the tombs on some days and the ground is often uneven and rocky.

ONE other thing -- as you walk through the venues, make sure you look down -- it would be easy to turn an ankle and spoil the rest of your trip.

josielawrence's Full Rating Summary

Suite

Cabins are compact. The room we had featured 2 twin beds, but they were more narrow than a typical twin bed. Since my sister is overweight by about 100 pounds, it was difficult for her to sleep on the bed and she occasionally slept on the couch.

josielawrence