• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Vasco da Gama Review

Editor Rating

Cruise company trying to cruise on the cheap

Review for Vasco da Gama to Australia & New Zealand
Tigerjas
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Dec 2019
Cabin:

My wife and I chose this cruise as it coincided with our 25th wedding anniversary. There where 3 stops Burnie, Melbourne & Adelaide. Burnie was canceled due to weather so we stopped at Eden NSW instead This was in no way the ‘fault’ of the cruise line and we appreciated their efforts in finding another port. On our arrival to Melbourne we were one hour late. The ship then broke down coming in to Adelaide. At approximately 5.30am the engines stopped & all power went off. No air conditioning, no water, no lights & no flushing toilets. Contrary to what the ship’s Captain has informed the media, there was no communication with the passengers until 7.45 to 8.00am. At that time we were informed that the ship was stopped due to a warning light for one of the engines. Breakfast was still available although nothing hot but plenty of cereal, pastries & fruit. Of concern, no one was offered any water. This included a lady seeking out water for her elderly husband that was at risk of choking. After 3 hours we were finally underway. This ship & cruise line in my opinion is budget so you get what you pay for. There are little things that could be done to make the cruise a lot better experience such as hot chocolate & tissues for the bathroom. This is my first CMV cruise & there was no atmosphere, even departing Sydney at 9.00pm travelling under the Harbour Bridge & through the harbour, One positive is the gym, it’s great for a cruise ship gym, also there is access to what I would call the Turkish baths. This is a spa, steam room & heated lounges included in the cruise price.

Cabin was fine, 2 single beds pushed together for my wife and I. My wife drank out of a glass which left a lipstick mark, the glas was never washed also you could write your name in the dust on the shelf the tv was on.We didn’t have tissues in the bathroom & when I asked was told that the stewards needed permission, go figure.

4 Helpful Votes