Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review
1,547 Reviews

Awful but gives you free Norovirus

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by rschmidt

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

I will start by saying this was my 6th cruise overall but my first with Royal Caribbean. I have cruised 3 times with Carnival and twice on Disney. My cruise on Royal Caribbean was gifted to me by a wonderful organization.

Let’s start with the refreshment package. They charge $29.89 a day (after gratuity) for use of 3 soda dispensing machines, bottled water at the bar or specialty coffee. That is right 3 lousy machines for an entire ship and 2 of them get locked up behind doors between meals and after 9pm leaving 1 machine for the entire ship. If you do not buy a soda or a refreshment package (alcohol not included in either) do not order a soda at a meal without expecting to hand over your sea pass card for a close to $5.00 charge for each..no free refills here. There is no place that offers food 24 hours except for room service. There is no 24 hr pizza or burgers.

Room service- They charge $9.38 to deliver a very limited selection of foods to your room. Isn’t room service supposed to be one of the perks of cruising?

Food- Only 2 dinners and 1 lunch were very good. The rest was just nasty. Breakfast was always the same. They would rope off areas and you would have to stand in line like cattle so a cruise employee could serve you in a buffet for certain desserts and food such as shrimp, mousse in a glass, ice cream or fondue.

ER- yes the ship has an emergency room and unfortunately I had the wonderful opportunity to visit it after I stubbed my foot on the corner of a metal base in their very small and limited shop. I dislocated and fractured 2 toes at 1020 am. By the time I could let my group know what happened and get down to the medical station it was 1045am. The ER closes at 11am and reopens at 4pm. The gentleman checking me in was very nice and the Dr was very nice as well but he informed me that the X-ray machine was down so he could not take xrays but he could reset the toes and I would have to get X-rays when I got back to the US. He very painfully reset my toes and buddy wrapped them. I was quickly ushered out via wheelchair and told to return at 4pm for recheck.

Pools - all close at 9pm so even think about enjoying an evening swim

Shops- very small and limited merchandise

Overcharging- Three out of 6 people in our group were double charged! The cruise lines did soft holds on small amounts and then billed the total amount again at the end without releasing the soft holds making them all go through.

Cabin- tiny, tiny did I say tiny. Mattresses are like rocks. Rust around base of bathroom floor. We could not hear any announcements in our room.

Smokers- if you are a smoker you will love this cruise! Those of us non- smokers have to walk through the thick smoke on deck 5 to get to the main areas when the locked the outside walkway doors

Norovirus- Three of the 6 of us came down with Norovirus upon returning to states. Dr’s have said it usually hits 48 hours after exposure which put me at finishing up breakfast on Friday and I came down with Norovirus at 10am Sunday. It is now 6pm on Tuesday evening and I still feel like death.

I think that about covers it! I will never cruise Royal Caribbean again after this horrible experience. I will stick to Carnival and Disney!

rschmidt's Full Rating Summary

Cozumel

We did not see anything but a handful of fish

Belize City

Tubing through caves was neat but they connect all of the tubes together

Roatan

Tiny port under major construction. Only a handful of shops.

90 minute ride to get there

I chose this excursion over the Myan ruins because they had a 110 min ride to get there. If I had known it was 90 min I would not have gone.

It was an absolutely gorgeous place and very relaxing excursion though. Lunch was authentic and delicious

View All undefined undefined Reviews