Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by MatthewM0823

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

We used an internet online service, and found just an amazingly low price -- "an offer we couldn't refuse." Of course there were a few downfalls. The ship was older (The Enchantment is over 20 years old); our stateroom was a small interior room; and the cruise was only four nights. But, we still had a great time. Their staff and crew were fantastic. Every member of the Enchantment team that we came across was extremely friendly -- always had a big smile and a cheerful "Hello." There were tons of activities and always something to do, even on sea days. There wasn't a water slide -- but there was a rock wall. (I think there was also supposed to be a bungee trampoline, but I never saw that.) There was a passenger capacity of around 2,300 which I still consider a lot of people (for a smaller ship); yet (other than a few special events such as their "Parade of Flags") it was never crowded. We boarded at about 11:30am, and headed straight to the Solarium and the Park Cafe. Up until about 1:30 or so -- the area was virtually empty; no lines for the cafe, only about 20 other people in the Solarium, and I had one of the two jacuzzis to myself. (NOTE: Another night, when we went up there at 1:30AM, again I had my own personal jacuzzi. And their Park Cafe serves light meals, snacks, and desserts til 3AM.) So I was very impressed with the amount of privacy we could find onboard. The biggest plus -- The food was excellent. It was only the third cruise we've been on; but RCI seemed to have better food than the Celebrity and the Carnival ships we were on. And one of our table-mates at dinner said the food was better than what she had on Princess. The only complaints I could have about the ship would be that there weren't a lot of outside areas. The only places I could seem to find outside access to the front and back of the ship were on the jogging trail on deck 10. I'm not sure, but, I don't think they even have any balcony rooms on the front and back. (There were only about 7 levels with staterooms.) But -- we did have a nice night on day 3 when we took a stroll around the jogging trail at 1 in the morning. It was very peaceful and we had a beautiful view of the stars and a full moon. A few more comments: The entertainment was average. The opening show featured a comedian Don Grey. He was good, but I think he was toned down to account for the fact that it was more family oriented. We missed his adults only show, as that was at 11:30PM on embarkation day, when most "old people" like us were sleeping. The other comedian Paul Morrissey was also average. His show, in my opinion, could've been longer. It seemed like he was only on stage for about 15 or 20 minutes. And, the musical reviews also were average. We only made the shows on the first two nights. But, next year when we do the Liberty, I'm sure we'll have much better entertainment (with their Broadway-style productions). We really did enjoy the piano music in the Schooner Bar, and the Roots Vibration (the reggae band) who provided entertainment by the pool and in the Centrum throughout the four days. With all due respect to our Cruise Director Bobby (who hails from The Great State of Texas -- a big plus for a Galveston-based cruise ship) -- I thought the Activities Director Saini did a little bit better job. He was just such a great personality and very funny. DO NOT --- DEFINITELY DO NOT miss the Love and Marriage Show, the Sexiest Man or the Belly Flop Contests, or especially the Crazy Quest game. Finally embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly and painlessly, and weren't too time-consuming. And in our one port (Cozumel), we went on our own to a hotel beach club -- El Cid Cieba -- and really enjoyed it. It was about a five minute walk from the International Pier; it was only $22.00 each which included a $13.00 credit (each) for food and drinks; it was good snorkeling (although as is the case with most beaches in Cozumel, access to the water was a little rough); the food and drinks were very good; and the wife even got to have a "fish pedicure," which was a pretty unique experience. We did have a little rain, but that stopped. And, we had to walk "THE GAUNTLET" of all the vendors in and around the port area when leaving and returning to the ship. (Funny note: we traveled 1800 miles to Mexico and the one souvenir we bought was a Green Bay Packer backpack. I just thought it was funny that so many souvenirs they sold were NFL, MLB, and NCAA related products. Welcome to Cozumel, USA)

In summary, I would definitely sail on the Enchantment again and would recommend it. Obviously there are many more ships that are bigger and nicer -- when we were in port in Cozumel, we were docked next to the Symphony; and I really did want to get back on that one instead of on ours. But, value for price -- our Enchantment was a fantastic deal.

MatthewM0823's Full Rating Summary

Interior

Cabin Location: very close to elevators (a big place if you have a tough time getting around). But it was too close to the Centrum which had music up until around 11PM or midnight. They were able to make this more bearable by closing the hallway doors to the cabins by 10PM (although, as my wife was in a wheelchair, the closed doors made things a bit difficult.

Cabin Size: the interior staterooms are 140 sq feet. I didn't like the fact that it was very difficult to squeeze into the left side of the bed between the corner (of the bed) and the cabinet that the TV was on. (I guess this could've been resolved by having our beds separated into two twins, instead of one king, but we didn't really want to do that.) And, there was an armchair wedged in between the closet that prevented us from being able to open/close the closet doors.

Cabin closet space and storage: This was the big redeeming value of the stateroom. While the room was small -- it did have what seemed to be about 50 little drawers, cabinets, shelves, above and around the bed; by the desk; in the closet; in the bathroom. Plus our closet was decent sized and we had a very ample supply of hangers. I would definitely give RCI 5 stars for making the room very, very efficient.

Other comments: The TV could've had more channels. There was one channel that had a view from the Lido deck intermittently displayed along with a map showing where we were located at all time. But no view from the bridge. (Other ships we have had two channels exclusively devoted to the outside views from the front/bridge and the side (from the pool deck, and that's a great feature to have when you have no windows. And there were about 6 channels devoted exclusively to promoting Royal Caribbean (selling shore excursions and features of the ship). But I did enjoy being able to watch replays of some of the shows (although it WAS just SOME shows). And they had the morning show on every day with the Activity Director and the Cruise Director, which I really enjoyed watching. There were two ESPN channels, about 5 news channels, and one movie channel -- although it seemed like the only two movies they ran (repeatedly) over the course of four days were YESTERDAY, and MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON. And then they had like 30 or 45 minute breaks between showings of their two movies. So the selection of TV channels were a little disappointing. And, I also had a problem with the shower. The shower curtain was flimsy, and the lip at the bottom of the shower enclosure was only about 1/2 inch or so. So every time I used the shower and stepped out of it, I had flashbacks of Hurricane Harvey (I'd end up with major flooding). And, finally, I would've liked to have had a refrigerator to help keep our wine and champagne cold. But, our reliable cabin steward Joel (who -- as is cruise custom -- could turn any towel into a work of art) made sure we always had a full ice bucket for the champagne. While the room did have a few small shortcomings -- Joel and the fact that we had excellent storage space made up for those. And, again, the price was excellent. I'm sure if we had paid extra for a balcony room, it would've been much nicer. But, then, the stateroom should just be a place to change clothes and sleep.

MatthewM0823