Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review

Old Folks, Mis-information, Mediocre Food

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by purpleHa

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

We were on the wrong ship! This was an "oldies" cruise! Most of the entertainment was designed for an OLDER crowd! Lots of "oldies" and Oldie Trivia, Bingo and Ballroom type dancing. But that was probably because there were mostly ODER passengers. There were so many walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, and canes in use on this ship. I really wish my travel agent had told me about that!

Embarkation and Disembarkation went more smoothly than any cruise I've been on! Ship was small but really showing signs of age. The fake ficus trees in the "Solarium" area were missing lots of leaves and very faded. The awnings at pool deck were ripped and some were missing. Some of the elevator buttons were not illuminated any longer.

Mis-information #1- We wanted to watch the SEC Championship football game (GA and LSU) the first evening and since there was no Sports Bar, we inquired at the guest services desk about where we could see the game. We were told they do not offer CBS (the station carrying the game). However, the next day, they played the Chiefs and Patriots game LIVE from CBS, on the big screen TV at the pool deck!

Mis-information # 2 and #3- We wanted to attend the casino gaming lessons early in the cruise so we changed our dinner plans in order to attend. However, Rhapsody's daily schedule of events (called Compass) had the wrong time published We missed dinner for this and the casino host was rude about it. Then, they published the wrong time for gaming lessons and casino opening again on the 6th day of the cruise! And again, rude response.

Food needs improvement! The same breakfast menu was served every day! The lunch and dinner had a good variety of items. On 2 evenings, the dinner was great. Others meals were mediocre at best.

We bought the soda pkg and found there were ONLY 3 soda machines on the whole ship. There were 2 in the Windjammer (buffet) available when the Windjammer was open. The other was on deck 6. Our preferred (Coke Zero) beverage was "unavailable" from the machine several times. When I let the staff know, I was always told to "try the machine on the other side". Once, I was directed to "try the machine on deck 6". Also, a limited assortment of sodas were available at the bars, served over a little ice from hot soda cans. Yuck!

Cabin was as expected. The steward was great. Excursions were good but overpriced.

At the piers in Cozumel and Costa Maya, passengers are literally funneled through the stores and restaurants (obviously owned by the cruise lines). Even the people outside the ship offering tours or excursions were probably owned by the cruise lines. They made sure to know which ship you were traveling on before they would quote the prices for the excursion.

This was my 2nd Royal Caribbean Cruise. It is my last on the Rhapsody!

purpleHa's Full Rating Summary