Scenic Amber Cruise Review

This was unexpected

Scenic Amber Cruise Review by Rugg3d1yH

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Europe River

This was our first riverboat cruise. We had checked out some others cruises casually but couldn't get excited about any. We went to a presentation put on by Expedia Cruise in Courtenay, BC, regarding Scenic and the guy with the funny accent caught our excitement regarding the boat, the service onboard, and what we would see on the tour. We immediately started planning our cruise that we just got back from.

I'm an old fart and my body shows it. The only part of the whole experience that was terrible had to do with the airlines and Amsterdam airport. I know you have to put up with the 9.5 hour flight from Vancouver, BC, to Amsterdam but I could hardly walk afterwards and it is actually kilometers between the international arrivals to the local carrier section. KLM nor the airport staff would assist me in getting transport over to the other side because I had not prebooked it. Coming back I prebooked assistance and that part went smoothly.

Since I had already been up for approximately 30 hours, when we arrived in Prague, I immediately crashed (fell asleep on the lovely, soft bed) while me wife did the short orientation tour. My wife enjoyed Prague while I recuperated. I did go out once and enjoyed a little of the wonder of the city. I was a little concerned with everyone telling us to be careful of pickpockets! Breakfast buffet at our Marriott Hotel was excellent with lots of variety. Yumm! (I'm a foody addict)

We got on the Scenic Amber in Nuremberg and I was impressed from the word go.

The welcome seemed real and everyone was courteous and, for me, this is where the pleasureable adventure really began.

I'm rambling a bit here so I'll try and condense the actual cruise..

I've been on big ship cruises before but not at the level of complete service as we got here. The things I especially like were:

Cabin - the soft head and knee raising bed; the cozy balcony; the small fridge for cod drinks, replenished daily;

Dining - exception meals with additional selections that you can order. They do cater to special food needs. For those of you that drink, there was a different red and white wine presented each day. You never had to worry about running out of wine, coffee, water. Room service always available;

Onboard activities - were fun and relaxed.Richard (Otto?) was very personable and gave pertinent information on what was going on the next day or for that night. The cruise wouldn't have been as great without him. The evening lounge entertainment was fun to watch with local groups coming on board at each port;

Ports and excursions - I commend the people that picked out the ports we visited, not too many and not too few. All the tour guides were not just informative but also very passionate about their city and country, nice to see and hear;

Service - I have nothing to negatively say about the service. Everyone treated us with courtesy and as a person. We had our own butler who was ours 24/7 If we wanted. He actually complained to us that we weren't using him enough!

I watch how staff interact with each other and all that I could see was friendly support and comradery between all levels of staff. They even all chipped in to take out the garbage!

That's about all I have to say for now except that we didn't pay an additional penny for anything else except for gifts. So eat, drink as much as you want; go on the tours, see the concerts... all included!

Rugg3d1yH's Full Rating Summary

Felt comfortable in the room. Loved the folding bed! Appreciated the fridge. Room service was great

Prague

Just did a short tour. Found it informative and appropriate.

Vienna

met friends and enjoyed food and time together.

Highlights Tour

Enjoyed. I felt that the pianist overplayed the music. Hard time following him.

View All 85 Highlights Tour Reviews
Nuremberg

Did the WW2 tour.VERY thought provocking. Great tour guide.

Old Town Tour

Nice tour. Impressive restaurant building.

View All 70 Old Town Tour Reviews