Island Princess Cruise Review

Short cruise to Elite status

Island Princess Cruise Review by 2forseas

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony (partially obstructed views)

I could not resist the rates on this 4 day cruise to achieve Elite status. Settled into a cabin on PR deck aft. Loved the location close to exit doors directly onto Promaneade deck. First time on this ship since 2013, and the refit. Really missed the full PR deck. It was almost as though I had never cruised this ship before, Explorers Lounge - gone. All kids' clubs are now aft, along with Fitness Center and Sanctuary, which was virtually a ghost town.

NO international cafe added. But in fairness, there is NO room on this class of ship, so just know you will be going a bit in reverse after enjoying on larger ships.

I heard others' complaining about the buffet, and lack of choices and entrees. I found nothing to complain about. There were more than enough choices in my opinion. Here again, once you have eaten in Royal or Regal, etc., the variety and size may not excite you.

Don't forget, you are on a ship which entertains 1,000 less guests, so do the math.

Had anytime dining. I am still trying to talk myself into the benefit of the flexibility. I really missed having the same wait staff, and had a line on two of the four nights. My fault for going at "peak dining times".

The ship felt empty, just what I expected on a quick 4 day voyage. The shows and entertainment were good. But the cruise director, well, can I say, absent and forgettable in my opinion. So sorry.

Amber Cove was just what was expected. Photos and reviews are accurate. I wanted to leave the compound, but didn't want the hassle, so just enjoyed the secure area.

The weather was a mixed bag. No fault of Princess!

2forseas's Full Rating Summary

Balcony (partially obstructed views)

2forseas