• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Spirit Of Discovery Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

The good and not so good

Review for Spirit Of Discovery to the Western Mediterranean
Tibbytoes
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jan 2020
Cabin:

I usually cruise with P&O or Cunard but thought I would give Saga a try on this beautiful new ship. Although Saga is advertised as for the over 50's, I would say it is more suitable for the over 75's (I'm 68).

The ship is spacious with quality furnishings and fittings and plenty of seating. However, it does roll a bit, even in calmer waters and we were unlucky enough to suffer extremely rough seas on our return from the Canaries, which meant we could not get to Lisbon and spent 4 days at sea.

Food is of a good standard, especially in the speciality restaurants, but these get fully booked within a couple of days, so book early! We particularly enjoyed the Club, excellent steaks.

Spacious cabin, equivalent to a double, with a few quirks. The fridge is only 6" deep and situated at the opposite en of the cabin from the tea making facilities. There were no biscuits! The hairdryer was very heavy and awkward to use, I always taken my own, but my friend had to ask for a lighter one from reception. There is not enough room in the wardrobe for shoes, I had to out the lifejackets, 2 blankets and a basket under the bed to make room.

Find a Spirit Of Discovery Cruise from £1,229