Diamond Princess Cruise Review

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by Espero

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My wife and I chose this cruise for two reasons. We had never been to this part of the world, and we had never been on a Princess cruise. The ports that we were seeing seemed great, parts of the world like Singapore or Vietnam, that we may never go to if not for this cruise.

I had read the the ship had just been refurbished in February of 2019, but I would be hard pressed to see that. I found the interior of the ship to still look old and run down. The walls and carpets looked dirty.

The dining was mediocre at beast. We were especially disappointed with the so called "find dining" room. The food options changed little, and what was there wasn't prepared any better than anything we got in the buffet. To make to make it worse, the service in that dining room was horrible. The buffet was extremely mediocre, and the food options changed very little as well. The service in this room was awful. If you wanted a drink, you had to get it yourself, even though there were people walking around asking, they always seemed to miss us, even when we tried to flag them down. The drink options were terrible. On all other cruises I have been on (5 different other lines) there were 2 or 3 juice options, water, ice tea, coffee, some sort of fake juice drink option (a Hi-C type drink) but not here. Water, coffee, tea and orange juice with breakfast.

The drinks package. We bought two unlimited drink packages. But don't be fooled! there is a limit of 15 per day on the drinks package. WOAH! You may be saying, that is a lot of booze! But, if you get up in the morning on a sea day, have a couple of bloody marys with breakfast, then kind of tip them back as the day goes on, it is possible to hit that. Now, we didn't. I think we came close a couple of times, but this is total false advertisement. If the limit is 15, then say it. They also liked to cheapen the drinks by changing the recipe of some classic cocktails by removing an ingredient, or replace 2 of them with something they thought was close enough.

We also purchased the best internet package they had, but it was terrible. We couldn't connect most the time, and when we did, we were dumped. We couldn't update any social media sites nothing. When I inquired at the internet desk, I was told that there wasn't enough bandwidth for the entire ship. But don't worry, we are going to get more at some point in the future. I got a refund because I insisted that a future upgrade did us no good at all, and there another false advertisement by Princess lines. With the bad internet also came bad reception on the television. The choices on there were the best I have ever seen, but we had a hard time watching it.

The shore excursions were average. The ports were ok except for one. Vietnam. Now, perhaps it is so bad because it is such underdeveloped country still, but it seemed like they tried the port farthest away from anything interesting. Da Nang, Nha Trang or Ho Chi Min City, were in the general vicinity, but if you didn't take one of their tours, you were pretty much up to your own devices. Normally that wouldn't be so bad, but these stops were pretty rural. At a couple, there was nothing at all.

There were some bright spots, not everything was awful. There was some really good people working on the ship. Our cabin steward, and a couple of the bartenders that we got to know were amazing!

Espero's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

The cabin definitely had an old kind of run down look. There were holes in the wall where some previous piece of furniture used to be. There was a newer model flat screen tv that was a pretty good size. The bathroom was a nice size, the water was good and hot, and there was enough room in the shower. The balcony where we were had a good unobstructed view with furniture. There was a desk and a side shelf area.

The bed was really comfortable, as well as the pillows and comforter. We slept good. There was enough power sockets for our needs.

Our cabin steward was amazing. Always there, always friendly. Our room was always made up well, and any requests we had of him were met very quickly.

City Tour

Good tour of the places around Taipei.

View All 25 City Tour Reviews
City Tour

Supposed to have some country, but it isn't the country, it is the suburbs.

View All 104 City Tour Reviews
Imperial Hue

Great driver, took us where we wanted, good price.

View All 14 Imperial Hue Reviews
Tokyo (Yokohama)

We were there for three days before the cruise. Tokyo is amazing. We loved it there.

Next Review