Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review
1,986 Reviews

Old and rusty ship. We called it The Rust Bucket!

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by Ms Elle

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spacious Ocean View Balcony

This was a 5 day cruise out of Galveston. We had a balcony on the 8th floor. The rooms really need to be updated and renovated. The ship has so much rust in it's exterior that it just looks bad. This is our first time on this ship, we were not impressed at all. I would give this cruise less stars, but the service was wonderful from our room attendant, to the bar waiters, to the service desk.

Food:

The buffet food was terrible. We tried it a few times, and just couldn't find anything we liked. It has an impressive presentation, but lacking in flavor. We ended up upgrading to The Chops Grille. It was awesome! The waiters were wonderful. My only complaint would be to change up the menu each night. We ate there every night! It was the only specialty restaurant on this ship. It would have been nice to have other options on specialty restaurants like on other ships. The ship also had a cafe in the solarium upstairs by the pool area. I enjoyed the salad bar there, but the sandwiches were awful! How hard is it to make a decent sandwich! There was always a line for the pizza. I couldn't understand why the hours were so limited on the pizza, when there isn't too many eating options. On debarkation day, it would be nice to have more options than the buffet. You can't order room service that morning. I just packed a granola bar and had my husband pick up some coffee at the buffet for me that morning.

Departure day:

We received a notice in the morning of departure that check in time would be delayed due to fog. It stated not to arrive at the dock until further notice. We live one hour from Galveston, so we were still at home. We were planning to arrive in Galveston to check in at noon. Living by the Gulf of Mexico, we are used to foggy mornings, it usually clears up late morning. We arrived at the dock at one. We tried to drop off our luggage, and the guide said, "the ship has not arrived, you cannot drop off your luggage, there has been a boat accident in the gulf and the coast guard has closed off the port!" We decided to have a long lunch in Galveston, then dinner, waiting for a message that we could board. We were finally able to board at 6:30. The cruise line did a great job of getting over 2000 people off the ship in such a short time. They said our room would not be ready until 8:30, but that all the restaurants would be open. We had an awesome dinner at Chops Grill. Muster drill was at 9:45 p.m. By this time, fog has rolled in again. We knew we wouldn't be leaving tonight. People were still having a good time, even though all the shops and casino were closed. Day two. We are still docked in Galveston. Foggy morning again, but the port is still closed. No ships in or out due to wreckage. We finally get sail to out at 4:15 pm. Fog was starting to roll in again.

Sailing away:

We spent Day three, sailing to Cozumel. They cancelled our stop in Yucatan, Mexico. I was really looking forward to stopping there.

Day four, we stop in Cozumel.

Day five, we sail back.

Disembarkation:

We were supposed to have early check out at 8:00. "Self Assist" is the first group to leave, walk off, carrying your own luggage. The ship announced that there was a delay. Stay in your cabin until we announce that you can leave. We were delayed about two hours. By that time, everyone is mad. Every one in the hallways, stairs, elevators packed. We sat and waited in the main theatre waiting for our group to be called. It was so disorganized!

Overview:

We had a nice time. I wouldn't recommend a short cruise. This was our 11th cruise. We typically book 7 days. I felt like I was shorted two days due to the fog and port accident. The cruise line was great giving us some credits for the delays. Once again, the service was excellent except for the disembarkation morning.

Ms Elle's Full Rating Summary

Spacious Ocean View Balcony

Galveston

Galveston is near our home town. There are many restaurants to choose from. The port is in walking distance to the historical strand area. It is a nice place to visit.

Cozumel

There are many shops located right next to the port. It feels just like Mexico without actually venturing off the port. It is very secure. Once you leave this area, there is a taxi stand if you want to venture into town. The water is beautiful.

Ms Elle