Riviera Cruise Review

Riviera Cruise Review by Grunteled

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

The ship is beautiful. The cuisine is fabulous. We couldn't wait to get off. We were in stateroom 7033. The heating and air conditioning system only blew cold air. No matter how much we turned up the thermostat, the unit, located right over the right side of the bed, blew cold air. Even with the veranda door open, it blew cold air. Sleeping under the cold and perhaps dirty (dust? mold?) air made for a miserable nights sleep. Exhausted, and at wits end, we shoved flat pieces of paper into the grate to deflect the incessant cold. It helped, but didn't solve the blowing cold. After several days we left a note for our room stewardess, and she immediately called in her supervisor. We waited as long as we did because having an HVAC repair person in our cabin wasn't what we wanted. Apparently the volume of air was adjusted. However, we still had cold air. Never warm.

The "Tranquility Bed" they promote is a joke! It is too small and my husband's feet hung over the end. The sheets (not fitted) and mattress cover were a wrinkled mess. We constantly tried smoothing and tucking the bottom sheet, to no avail. The bed was the pitts! By the sixth night, we decided to try sleeping sideways. That helped me get out from under the constant blowing cold air, and we both slept a little better.

The bathroom is very nice, however the water temperature in the shower vacillated between freezing cold, and scalding hot. The fluctuation varied within each minute, so if I timed it right I could attempt to rise off a head full of shampoo and a face full of soap in the few seconds between extremes. I thought about requesting a plumber, and decided I didn't want our bathroom torn apart in an attempt to fix what may be just part of cruising. After all, I wasn't the only one on a ship with 1400 guests showering. I understand some fluctuation, but the water in stateroom 7033 was a roller coaster of extremes.

We had some rough seas. So rough, that one of our stops, that would have required a tender, was cancelled. Dinner conversations centered around remedies for the banging closet doors. Oceania really messed up with their closet placement, and sliding doors. The doors bang, and hangers bang up against the doors. The remedy? Place a bath towel over all the hangers, and shove a washcloth between the doors. Doing so will allow quiet during the night.

One last thing: You may wish to bring your own pillow case. The environment is humid. Bedding is damp. My pillows stunk. I requested a cleaner pillow, but still came home with a badly infected eye, I suspect was caused by my stinky pillow.

Loved the food, the fellow passengers, and the beautiful ship, but will think twice about sailing again on Oceania.

Grunteled's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Stateroom

ATV

Lengthy walk to bus. Bus to Solid ATV Scooter Rental. Long, self promoting speech in small cramped room. Climb on ATVs, sit in hot sun, while instructions are given all over again. The person on the back is not comfortable and must hold on as ATV lurches forward and stops. Ride is not along beach and countryside but out in traffic with cars and trucks. It is constant stop and go. The off-road part is along a dirt trail. Ones in the back eat dust. The rest stop is a dive bar. $1 to use the restroom, and you will be there for an hour. At this point, I took a cab back to the ship.

Grunteled