Viking Sea Cruise Review

Viking Sea Cruise Review by Tom 51

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean

Tom and Jackie Review San Juan to San Juan December 21 2019 to January 11 2020

Tom and Jackie Morgan Review San Juan to San Juan December 21 2019 to January 11 2020

First the good news

1. Most of the crew were really good especially our room cleaners Roslyn and Kenneth together with our Japanese beautician

2. Restaurants were mostly good and the buffet was real good and varied.

3. Infinity pool was good as well as the spa

4. Excursions mostly good but as long as you go for the paid ones

Now the not so good

Comments from my wife below and myself in red after her comments

Recently got back from a cruise down the Amazon and Caribbean (Dec 2019/Jan 2020) (21 days). Ship was great and crew excellent but ... a bit like a retirement home at sea. My husband and I are in our late sixties but run our own business and live in Australia and are fit. There were a lot of elderly Americans on this cruise who were our age but looked older and not fit at all (overweight). They were hard to relate to (not on the same planet really). It was as if we were not speaking the same language at times!! Bear this in mind when booking any cruise out of the US.

My main issue was an excursion in San Juan called Mojito and Salsa. We paid $AU244 each or around $USD168.00. I was expecting a restaurant with some atmosphere like a club. It was a brightly lit very ordinary place. The salsa lessons took place at the entrance to the restaurant so we had to keep moving out of the way of people coming in. The salsa instructor was good but it went on for too long and he tried to fit too much in. Should have stuck to basics.

Before the salsa lesson started we were served an entree which consisted of three items (one of which was really inedible). The main course was the local food which we had to ground into a paste and then add a very small piece of dried out chicken to. This was served with a green salad which was not very appetising.

Two drinks were included with this (Mojito).

After the Salsa lesson I asked for a glass of water as there was none offered on the table. The waitress was very surly and did not provide the water and I had to go to the bar to get it myself. I thought dessert might be an improvement but it was very small but edible at least.

The whole place lacked atmosphere and not what I expected for the price paid. This excursion was a total rip off - do not book it.

I complained to the excursions manager and she seemed to think the salsa lessons took place upstairs - not the case. I also informed her that everyone was still hungry and were going back to the ship to eat something as the main course was mostly inedible. She said she would look into it but I would have expected to have been offered a 50% refund.

We had some excellent excursions in the Caribbean - those guys know how to party!!!

Entertainment on board was Ok when the violins weren't playing - very grating. Pablo who played the guitar was excellent but we were disappointed when we were told they could not play some songs i.e. Sexual Healing because of the content as the US people get offended - really!!!

The Viking Band were really good but on too late some nights.

On sea days we found things to do a bit lacking. We are not into playing cards or bago (some game throwing bags into a hole - yes - really.

Went to gym and spa on sea days but apart from that sat around the pool.

The Amazon trip has a lot of sea days but it is a trip you would only do once really. The cities were dirty and full of vultures but some of the excursions were excellent such as jungle survival trek (very informative) and the trip to the indigenous village and the Piranha fishing. Also Devils Island was great - the prison was very interesting to visit. We have travelled to third world countries before (Afghanistan, India, and Pakistan) and Brazil is up there with them. Not in a hurry to go back.

Caribbean is another thing entirely - love it all.

Not so good from me (Tom)

1. Lack of entertainment bago ( sand bag), Pablo was good but he was used to much, Philippine band was ok but pianist and violin not really wow

2. We had a cooking smell in the cabin from the kitchen ( level 6) in the mornings

3. Black pieces in infinity pool coming from the ships funnel

4. In the infinite pool area Waiters disappeared from 3pmTill 5pm in the afternoon on sea days etc. Only one person ( Indian ex kitchen staff) when I complained a manager came to my room and said this was no good so every time I went out their he would come over with a beer ( didn’t) ask but with many ( 15 people) out on the infinity desk ( pool) he was the only one shocking service

5. Ian Young I found was rude, quite direct and seemed to be not the correct person for the job

6. Found out at the end of our cruise and went under our bed to check if we had left anything what a surprise just a metal frame with a mattress on top ( too hard)

7. Run out of peroni beers 4 days for the end of the cruise

8. Everyone seemed to be well into their 70”s ( I am 68) and was happy just to read books all day waiting to go

9. No real entertainment at night

10. Enrichment lectures ( paid people) what a waste of time

11. Cheap entertainment ( Ian young, Courtney Ricardo etc.) using staff rather than have the cost of real full time entertainers

12. Re St Thomas our tour was cancelled due to bad weather which it wasn’t as there was real good weather and yes I have been to St Thomas before

Not bad but we will need to see other cruise lines (yes we have been on many cruises before) as this trip was really like being in an American retirement home

Tom 51's Full Rating Summary

good

San Juan

shocking dinner event mojito dinner total rip off

Catamaran Sail

best piss up ever jackie drunk again on rum punch

View All 123 Catamaran Sail Reviews
St. Thomas

cancelled due to bad weather BS not enough booked our tour

Next Review