Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by jjm3

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

This is my 3rd cruise and all 3 have been with Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately this one left a bad mark and the way things were handled more or less ruined my vacation for me and left me questioning if I’ll ever cruise with Royal again.

To start things off embarkation was delayed first reportedly because of fog. Royal Caribbean contacted us and let us know there would be another update in 2 hours. The fog was already clearing so during that time we dropped off our luggage at the port and decided to get something to eat close by. After grabbing a meal we walked around the town of Galveston a little bit and the second notification arrived- still no update on when the ship would be able to dock so we could board; another update would come in two more hours. This was odd because the fog had completely lifted. We exhausted everything that we could do with our two year old toddler close to the port pretty quickly but we just kept walking and hoping the next update would bring good news- unfortunately it didn’t. This time the story changed: the coast guard was performing a search and rescue with no further information on when we could board. We returned to port to recover some medication in my luggage. I had brought some with me but not enough for a long delay. Unfortunately our luggage was too packed in and not well organized within the port. Eventually the lack of access would lead to a medical event on board for which I was unable to get help for when the ship returned to Galveston. Luckily it wasn’t life threatening but it basically left me unable to leave the room for two days onboard. After a couple more updates we finally had a timeline but unfortunately once we boarded we sat in the port and ended up leaving 24 hours after our scheduled departure time. This would force us to miss one of our ports.

After the ship got rolling we got to our cabin which was okay. Of course small and nothing special but clean and other than losing hot water for about 6 hours during our trip we had no problems and we received truly fantastic service from the gentleman taking care of us.

Because we were traveling with a two year old we spent a lot of time dining in the Windjammer which was better than I remembered from my other experiences. Unfortunately this ship does not have a lot of specialty dining options so other than the windjammer and main dining room there wasn’t a whole lot else to try out. Overall I thought the food was pretty good and our service was very good. All of our service staff really made our meals with our toddler easy and stress free.

This ship had very limited activities on board compared to both the Freedom and Mariner and is really starting to show its age. I really enjoyed the Main Street type feel on those ships’ Royal Promenade. The main lounging area on the Enchantment was still pretty nice but it seemed like a lot of little things were spread throughout the ship. This ship lacked an ice rink and some of the fun stuff to do on the other ships I’ve been on and those were sorely missed but it did have a splash pad and a decent sized shallow section in the pool that my son thoroughly enjoyed. Overall I felt the stage actors and other entertainers were pretty good on this ship and looked forward to all the shows that were offered.

As I mentioned we missed one of our ports but we had a good time in Cozumel even though the water was a little too choppy for swimming. The number of shore excursions offered was pretty small and lacked the Xcarat day experience that I was hoping for.

The service throughout impressed me sincerely. The staff was obviously dedicated to making our stay enjoyable and tried dearly to make up for the unfortunate delays and cancellations. Unfortunately Royal Caribbean did little to match their efforts and I was left thinking we wasted a lot of money and precious vacation time on a ship that quite frankly is showing it’s age.

jjm3's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View

The room was small (of course) but the window made the made it feel a little bigger than an interior.

Galveston

There are some nice things in Galveston I just wish there was a park near the port for kids.

After being taken to a couple Catholic Churches we were taken to the downtown area to walk around shops for a little while and then taken to a private beach area with a restaurant. The food at the restaurant was just ok and the beach was nice although it was too choppy to swim on our day.

View All undefined undefined Reviews