Regatta Cruise Review

Disgusting floating health hazard, rude staff, and bad entertainment

Regatta Cruise Review by cruiser741

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: Around the World
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

I thought it was going to be a luxury cruise, but it was the worst cruise experience I've had in about 30 cruises. We got off the ship before the schedule disembarkation date because it was so bad.The ship was feces, urine and mold infested. Gastrointestinal infections were widespread. The ship was classified code red, meaning it was so unclean and unhealthy the government had to step in and instruct the crew on cleanliness protocols. My traveling companion got food poisoning. There were no table cloths, salt, pepper, or other civilized dining standards for the first two weeks of the cruise. They literally spilled a large amount of urine and feces sewage on the carpet in the hallway outside my cabin, so I had to hold my breath going to and from my cabin, the smell was so intolerable.

It was not a 5 star ship. It was an old ship. There was nothing special about it. The cabins were a hazard with many sharp surfaces to bump into and not enough space to get around them. There was very little to do onboard. Most importantly, the sewage systems failed, leaked, and contaminated the ship.

The staff was rude, obnoxious, and offensive. The Executive Concierge, an objectional small man who should not be in customer service, set the tone of offensiveness in the cruise terminal. Because my travelling companion is disabled, we arrived early for embarkation and requested wheelchair assistance. The ship was so filthy it was causing illness, and had to comply with government mandated cleaning standards higher than their usual standards. Extra time was needed for cleaning before anybody could board the ship. Oceana neglected to notify the passengers, so we were delayed for hours. When the process of boarding the cruise ship started, the cruise terminal employees wheeled my companion to begin boarding because we were waiting the longest and were disabled. The Executive Concierge stood in our path, without inquiring about the health or welfare of my disabled companion, and in an unbelievably nasty tone of voice, and with a sneer on his face, ordered us to the back of the line. We had to wait until everybody else got on board the ship first, because boarding was in order of who paid the most for their cabins!

Many staff members were offensive on the ship. We were refused ice cream from the ice cream station, because it was about to close, even though it had not yet closed and it was scheduled to be open. I was ordered to hand over a Danish to a crew member, and given no choice to take it outside to eat on the deck. I was ordered not to take my room service tray out of my room. Our time was disrespected as we waited for tenders. In general, I felt like I was treated more like cattle than a passenger on a so called luxury cruise.

The entertainment was bad. On a 32 day cruise, with two legs to the cruise, there were only three shows by the cruise singers and dancers. Rather than having new show content, the shows from the first leg of the cruise were repeated on the second leg.

The cruise management lied to us, misled us, and mistreated us. It started with sending us our itinerary too late. Moreover, they never notified us of the illness and health hazard in advance, or of the delays in boarding the ship. They withheld information from us in daily briefings, stating it was their intention to surprise us. We had nothing but negative surprises. Further, when ports of call were cancelled they took us into rough waters unnecessarily without warning us. They cancelled ports of call and kept us in the dark about whether upcoming ports of call would be cancelled, so we could not make decisions about whether to stay with the cruise or disembark early.

They gave us an unnecessarily hard time disembarking early.

On balance, it was a horrible cruise experience such that my travelling companion would never consider cruising again. I would certainly never cruise with Oceana.

cruiser741's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View

Tiny bathrooms. The stench of urine and feces sewage came through the bathroom, so we had to request it be cleaned with bleach every day. Sewage was literally spilled on the carpet in the hallway outside my room. The cabin key never worked right, and even when desensitized so that I could not get through security, the key could open the door to my cabin. I always felt insecure that either I would have trouble getting past security because my key did not work, or that unauthorized people could open my cabin door becasue even desensitized keys opened the door. There were many sharp edges in the cabin that posed a hazard and caused bruises if you bumped into them.

Blue Mountains

Pretty views.

View All 29 Blue Mountains Reviews
Featherdale Wildlife Park

Great up close interactions with animals! Awesome!

View All 12 Featherdale Wildlife Park Reviews
The Rocks

Pretty place.

Melbourne

Great opportunity to watch the penguin parade.

Burnie

Not enough time to see the most interesting places on the island.

Dunedin

Great tour of the island, views of sea lions, dolphins, albatross, etc.

Kayaking

Good training, but hard work paddling.

Kaiori Wildlife Sanctuary

Interesting place for a nice walk.

View All 3 Kaiori Wildlife Sanctuary Reviews
Winery Tour

Lots of wineries included on the tour. A good time was had by all.

View All 16 Winery Tour Reviews
Waiheke Walking Tour

Not enough time to fully see the island

View All 5 Waiheke Walking Tour Reviews
Snorkeling

Went to Beachcomer Resort on a small isand. Extraordinary snorkeling, cool hotel grounds, bar serving food and drinks.

View All 9 Snorkeling Reviews
Noumea

Great snorkeling, chairs with umbrellas, bar serving food and drinks.

cruiser741