Carnival Glory Cruise Review

Carnival Glory Cruise Review by wolft927

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean Suite

So, Writing this review a few months late but better late then never lol....So my wife and I (38, 40) took our oldest son (18) on a cruise for his High school Graduation present. He graduated 5 months early so figured would be a great time to get away from the cold. We booked the Glory out of New Orleans mainly because of the convenience of not having to fly. I have been on Many cruises with Princess,Carnival, RCCL and also worked onboard NCL as a Cruise Director for 5 years back in the early 2000's. So reviewing the Glory will be very honest:

First Impression: So the Glory is getting up there in age but i will say that it looks very good. Obviously there is some rust around the outside but almost all ships have that now a days. Driving up to the Port you can still get excited with the size but it is by no means a massive ship.

Embarkation: So we decided to get an ocean Suite because our son is 6'3 and about 240lbs and thought the extra room would be nice on the balcony and in the room. With that being said, embarkation was an absolute Breeze. We arrived at the Terminal at 10:00am and was escorted to the Priority Check in area, we were through security and check procedures in under 15 minutes. We arrived to the Captains lounge in the terminal and by the time i could grab a coffee they said they where ready for us to board. All in all i think it took us from arrival to stepping on board maybe 20 minutes.

Cabin: So we had an ocean suite which was fantastic. First time I have actually spent the money for the suite and it was nice. Now would we do it again, maybe even if it was just for the priority boarding and much more room with 3 in the cabin. Balcony is not that deep but is very long, enough for 2 chairs a table and a full lounger. Once thing i did not like about the Balcony was it does not have a sliding glass door....but again not a big deal at all.

Food: We had dinner in the Main dining room every night and as most people say the food is good but nothing to write home about. I was always able to find something that i wanted and always tried the local cuisine for the port of call we were in. Wait staff was fantastic as always on cruises. Really enjoyed Guys burger joint and the Pizza Place on board. We did not go to the Steakhouse this time around. Buffet i will say was not very good. Breakfast and lunch was fine but honestly i don't like to eat Buffets for dinner as i love the sit down dining experience. We did have coffea and danishes delivered to the room every morning at 7am to enjoy on the balcony, always on time and always good.

Beverage Package : Now, I always purchase the Cheers Package for the simple piece of mind ( lets not lie, when on vacation drinks start flowing early lol) and because it includes all other non alcohol drinks including bottled water and specialty coffee. For my wife and I it was about $850 total. I promise you, between the drinks, water, soda and specialty coffees we made out. Now remember, when sailing down the Mississippi River, you will still be charged sales tax for the drink. I heard people complaining about it, all i thought was really $850 spent and your complaining about .26 cents.

Entertainment: Shows where typical Cruise ship shows, I really wish they would go back to 3 Production shows and have 2 Guest Entertainers on board...Comedy shows where good but i promise get there at least 30 to 45 minutes early as they fill up fast

Port of Call

Montego Bay: So we all went ATV riding on a Plantation and was an absolute BLAST...If you are only going to do an organized excursion in one port do it here, as there is absolutely nothing around the cruise terminal.

Grand Cayman: Tendering was easy enough in Grand Cayman, got off the ship had lunch at a locals place and walked around a bit. Grand Cayman is very expensive as the US dollar is worth about 3/4 of there local currency.

Cozumel: So we did Paradise Beach. $15 cab ride, $3 each to get in and we ordered food and drinks and enjoyed the water. Rented 2 Jet Skis for $100 for an 45 minutes. Had a lot of fun.

Almost forgot! For adults the best thing about the Glory is the Rear Adults only pool with a retractable roof. We never went to the main pool and loved it. Wish the newer Carnival Ships had it.

All in all the Cruise was great, Ship was always clean or being cleaned and I am actually booked on the Glory again in September 2020 if she sails, fingers crossed

wolft927's Full Rating Summary