• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

KBVegas
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Feb 2011
Cabin: Penthouse Suite

I've spent years trying to convince my husband to take a cruise. With our 20th wedding anniversary approaching, I finally put down my foot and told him we WOULD take a cruise to celebrate. I was concerned that 10 nights was too long for his first cruise experience, but HE LOVED IT! We agree that this was the best vacation either of us has ever had.

We are both highly critical of what passes for customer service these days but found this experience to be as close to perfection as humanly possible.

There were about 650 passengers from 6 nations; almost 400 crew members from 41 nations -- the various accents blended into a beautiful symphony. With so few people on board, you got to know other passengers and the staff. My husband had promised to get to know the bartenders by name before the cruise was over -- a goal that only took 2 or 3 days to accomplish! It wasn't long before he'd enter a bar and hear "Mr. B, Heinecken or Jack Daniels today, sir?"

Penthouse Suite

Cabin PH1

I had envisioned spending a lot of time on the veranda, quietly reading with a glass of sparkling water on the table next to me. I didn't sit in the chaise even once in ten days; it wasn't inviting. The veranda is so small that the chaises are at an angle -- they're longer than the veranda. I thought they were covered with bird droppings, so asked our Butler to have them cleaned. It turned out that the white spots are paint. Nonetheless, with the dirty-looking chaise lounges that really didn't fit and one very small table, the veranda just wasn't inviting. Too, the tract to the veranda looked dirty when the sliding door was closed. When it was opened, the tract was disgusting.

Location was perfect in that we were mid-ship so felt less "motion of the ocean." Even so, I was a bit queasy one day and went to the ship's boutique in search of crackers, hopefully Wheat Thins. They don't carry any crackers at all, but the young man offered me Pringles -- not what I had in mind for a queasy stomach.

Port Reviews

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

First stop was the Tortuga Rum Company. It was great fun and I took the most wonderful pictures -- none of which I'll ever see thanks to dead camera batteries. AUGHHHHHHHHH

Cozumel

Fun tour. Stopped at the ocean where I had a Coco Loco. YUM Went to the Tequila Museum for tasting, and then a show of traditional Mayan dancing. We were treated to a complimentary blue margarita.

Belize City

Belize is the poorest place I've seen.

The airboat adventure out to the mangroves was one of the best experiences of my life.

Roatan

The most beautiful place I've ever been. The Dolphin Encounter was a "Bucket List" moment. We plan to fly directly to Roatan and spend a week there.

Key West

Fun crazy place. Very touristy and congested.

Find a Regatta Cruise from £1,066