Viking Torgil Cruise Review

Boring and not for the active traveler.

Viking Torgil Cruise Review by Portugaltraveler

• Sail Date: Jul 2016
  • Destination: Europe River

We took the Torgil for a cruise on the Douro. I commend the staff who executed the Viking program with professionalism and efficiency. I also will say that the cabin was quite nice although I would have liked the bird poop and other dirt to have been washed off the veranda.

Beyond that I have little positive to say. The scenery was redundant. And the excursions required lengthy bus trips. The places that we traveled to had little things of interest and the lunches and dinners provided during these excursions were terrible.

The trip was very structured and there was little free time. Everything was mapped out, which may be good for the average guest who was around 75 years old and not very active. The guides were friendly but we found that TripAdvisor offered more information on what to see in locations and where to shop than the guides.

Food on the ship was not exceptional and not really consistent with the Portuguese food that we experienced when we ate off the ship. (We were the only ones who explored the restaurants in the area, which made the trip much more interesting.)

The evenings were dull and boring, as were most of the guests. People weren't really warm and friendly. Forget about partying.

The worst is that Viking limits Wi-Fi access without disclosing it and we almost had a major problem at work as a result. They never disclose this, which to us is false advertising.

The other bad thing is that the program director on the ship insisted that we write that the trip exceeded our expectations, driving the importance of saying this in the questionnaire which I think was totally uncalled for and unprofessional.

I would never take a Viking trip again.

Portugaltraveler's Full Rating Summary

City Tour

Good

View All 45 City Tour Reviews

Portugaltraveler